Mr Brunel's Hat: Original 1930s Colours - Help?

Last weekend, Unravelled and I met in London for a drink (and for the collection of some exquisite laser cut details for Mr Brunel's Hat) in the Old Blue Last Pub in Shoreditch - the prototype for Mr Brunel's Hat

To cut a long story short, the OBL manager gave us a copy of a photograph of the Pub in the 1930s (below)

post-123-0-45263000-1321261287_thumb.jpg

There are also some good 30s photos here: http://www.designdep...-blue-last-pub/

Clearly, the brick part is plain London yellow brick, but the facade below the brick seems to be a similar colour (or perhaps a cream colour?) with the decorative stucco picked out in some other colour . This is very different to what ChrisF has suggested (the Truman Hanbury House Colours) and which is seen on other T&H pubs.

Would anyone have any idea as to the colour of the lower facade and the stucco highlights?

Thanks

F

Thanks for the clarification Chris. However looking at what I can find on t'interweb about Truman, Hanbury Buxton pubs (a useful link here: http://trumanhanburybuxton.tumblr.com/) it seems that their pubs could vary between extensive use of house colours on the pub facade (like the Prince of Wales in Kensington Church Street, London) to a limited use (e.g. just the woodwork) - like perhaps The Old Blue Last

That being so, I'm still at a loss as to the colour of the stucco facade - tan perhaps?

All thoughts, opinions and suggestions gratefully received

F

Thanks for this useful photo, John. It does appear to be the remnants of the original facade. So putting it all together, it would seem that the Old Blue Last in the 1930s had natural brick facings with a whitish/tan facade and with Truman Hanbury Buxton house colours for the woodwork. The only major change I will make to this scheme is to paint the brickwork as red brick as opposed to London's yellow brick in order to suit my layout's location.

I'm still puzzled, however, as to how to highlight the stucco on the pillars (that which is currently picked out in gold on the Old Blue Last)

F

p.s. I found that I had really mucked things up with MBH when I went to start mounting the flower stucco castings, I discovered that I had affixed the SEF brick sheeting reversed, so I had to remove one of the brick facings :scared: Which I did, leaving me with damage to repair and make good. A set back, but not insurmountable (but a three hour waste of modelling time)

Archived