Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lima Mk2 coach couplings

murray1

I am building a rake of Lima Mk2 e/f coaches. I will run i with a Bachmann BG full brake at one end, and a restaurant car in the rake. As always, the problem I have is the couplings. I woiuld appreciate help in the best way to gain closer and safer connection between the coaches. Kadee is an option within the rake but I do not want to convert all stock. Is it possible to to have NEM style couplings fitted to a Lima bogie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would cut the loop and remove the hook from one end of each coach which gives closer coupling. Try one and see if you like it as it gives a much easier and cheaper method. See the diagram below.

Couplingdiagram.jpg

Do you have a photo or two for this modification?

Thanks,

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi

A member of my club has used a simple peice of U-shaped wire, upturned. Its secured at one end by being drilled and superglued into coach floor and the other end simply hooks behind the next coach's bufferbeam. The hook length is detemined by how close your coaches can be to each other around your tightest curves. He has a mixture of Bachmann, Hornby and Lima coaches in the rake and its used on an exibition layout with no problems. The outer ends of the rake are fitted with Kadee's as thats the standard coupling in use in the club.

I'll be using the same method with a rake Im building up which is a mixture of Triang, Lima and Ian Kirk kits.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cut the coupling off, recess the other end of the bogie and fit about 5mm in. Alradite works.

I have now been using smaller couplings, similar in size to the old Mainline ones, but every Lima B4 I have has been modified

• Like 1

I use the "Spring" method, where one end has a coupling hook made from a piece of brass wire, and the other has a short length of Mamod drive spring or similar, so when the rake is coupled the springs are slightly stretched and the corridor connectors are used as a central buffer, guaranteeing close coupling.

After several shows on a layout with fairly tight curves and undulations, I haven't felt the need to replace them with anything else. They are limited by the train weight, as the springs need to extend on curves but excess drag can stretch the first few couplings, but I've found having a DVT on the back of my Mk2 rake with it's pickups dragging still doesn't stretch the couplings.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'd best get on and take some to fully explain...

• Like 1

• 7 years later...