3mm scale in the spare room

TT3

Thought I would keep my old topic alive on the new forum...for those who have been following, Tretton is an epic tale of one mans struggle with 40 year old Triang and white metal loco kits to make a reasonably realistic layout. The last layout I built was a 10 foot square triang roundy in 1989 so this is a reintroduction to layout building.

Tretton 3mm Scale - Updated with new pics

by 3millmodeller

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:02 pm

After reading many posts on this forum, I thought I would share with everyone my current layout-in-progress. As you can probably guess the layout is 3mm scale and fits very well into my small spare room. One of the advantages of 3mm is the amount of layout one can build without compromising too much on the size of the models. The background on this project is that this layout was aquired in an incomplete state when I purchased a large amount of Triang TT components.

The idea at the time of purchase was I have now obtained all the stock and triang track I could ever need so no more buying of models is necessary! Suffice to say that was a bit optimistic. I did not take a lot of pictures of the before and inital planning stages as I had not found this forum but will update progress from now on if there is sufficent interest.

The original layout was a simple terminus to loop with 3 platform faces and a small yard. The track was a mixture of 30 year old Wrenn and Gem pointwork with GEM flexible track and fitted neatly in the 13 by 10 foot downstairs spare room. Consequently the age and fragile nature track construction meant that in order to get reliable operation all of the pointwork has had to be replaced with PECO H0m components.

The picture below was taken to show the previous owner what had happened to his layout before all the GEM pointwork was replaced so sould give an idea of the track plan...

file.php?id=18470

file.php?id=18467

Currently, the amended layout looks like this.

file.php?id=18468

file.php?id=18469

In terms of operation the layout will become a continious run around the walls with a single track mainline through platform face 2, an avoiding line through the centre road, parcels and brach terminus in platform 1. For added interest there is also a second branch line from the station running parellel with the main line to give the illusion of double track enabling the main and branch trains to run at the same time. The fiddle yard will be desiged to incorpate a return loop so the final operation of the the station itself can become a through station, through station and branch terminus or terminus only.

The current most difficult problem is finding a name for it and geographic locationas this was supposed to be a BR(S) layout except I have managed to collect far to many WR tank locos....i guess somwhere in the west country...perhaps..

Comment posted by Jack on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Looks interesting! TT always struck as the ideal scale compromise.

Given your locos must be 45+ years old, how do they run??? Was looking at some Euro TT stuff the other day, the quality looks good, its just a shame they don't do British outline.

Comment posted by MartinWales on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Nice work sir!

Apart from EM I also work in 14.2mm (the 3mil equivelent of P4/S4)and find it a liberating experience not relying on RTR all the time-a little shunting yard is underway with a larger project hopefully following on!

??? posted on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:57 am

Most of the 3mm locos I have run very well and some of them are pretty exceptional. I find that the Triang TT runs much better than my Triang 00 for some reason. I was also fortunate in that most of the standard triang locos are new old stock or have been modified by a well known local model engineer. This is a bloke who balanced armatures and shimmed motors to get an ideal mesh so these run like modern stock. The best strategy for improving the running of other locos has been a good dose of WD40 and adjusting back to backs and added weight with a white metal body kit.

MartinWales wrote:

Nice work sir!

Apart from EM I also work in 14.2mm (the 3mil equivelent of P4/S4)and find it a liberating experience not relying on RTR all the time-a little shunting yard is underway with a larger project hopefully following on!

Agree wholehartedly with this, not being able to go to the model shop and get the latest Bachmann release is pretty liberating, especially for the wallet. This is the first layout I have constructed in 20 years and it is great to return to modelling to do something a bit different.

Thought I would follow up with some more progress shots...

The fiddle yard with Triang track in evidence, the orignal layout plan was for all triang track but abandoned that idea quickly enough...

Open baseboards across the window...thought I would try the L gider construction and now wish I had done the rest of the layout that way

file.php?id=18556

file.php?id=18557

And for those of us who like chipboard wasteland shots...a scratchbuilt 4f (by unknown builder) on a coal train

file.php?id=18558

file.php?id=18559

??? posted on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Time for a quick update as I can now run all the way round the room. I have also decided to ditch the Triang track in the fiddle yard as I would like my trains to run properly all the way round the layout and not just on the new track!

New lifting section over the door

file.php?id=19979

And overall view of the new arrangements

file.php?id=19980

Finally, latest addition to the fleet, a very nicley details Triang MN cunningly disguised as a West Country..could not resist the lovely brake gear and it runs as good as it looks

file.php?id=19981

Comment posted by Ravenser on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Looking very nice.

By the way , the 3mm Bilteezi sheets are still available from Freestone Model Accessories see Rly Modeller advert) and with some work to cut out and glaze windows, laminate /back with strong card etc can be made to look good.

You may want to join the 3mm Society as they have an excellent range of products including a large range of rather nice wagon kits

??? posted on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 pm

The old bilteezi kits came with the inital collection when I bought it and constructing them was the the first step to building a proper layout in 20+ years and pleased with how they came out will follow up though as I could do with extending the station building a little. I am also thinking about using the scalescene downloadable buildings reduced from 4mm to 3mm for further work and possibly to build a small 3mm exhibition layout for non-triang stuff to run on to promote the scale over here.

I joined the 3mm society as soon as I had the stuff and was lucky the amoungst all the bits and pieces came 10 years worth of mixed traffic magazines...have not tried a wagon kit yet but one is in the post on the way here icon_cool.gif. Currently the limit of my scale modelling has been reconstructing and detailing white metal loco kits so have to ease into it a little.

Comment posted by winterbournecm on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:26 am

Hi there

Oh for the joys of a room within the house - you're so lucky! Missus banished me into the garage! Still improvement on the loft I suppose. The layout is coming along nicely.

Lovely scope for your viaduct too.

??? posted on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks mate, It is quite a luxury to take over a room inside, especially when the door is open I have a good view of the TV, it is the only room with downlights installed and the walls are a nice light blue. These things help when you actually build the house though I did not intent to have the whole room then.

I am plannaing an enbankment and smaller bridge over the area as it is nice to have a natural backdrop but a viaduct would work well as it would not stop the light coming in from the window. Now have to finish that wagon kit and lay some more track..

??? posted on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:19 am

Work is cracking on with the 3mm layout despite waiting for more track and other components to arrive. In the meantime I have finally finished the wiring for the point motors in the staion area as I was getting tired of the digitally operated points with motors on the bottom icon_rolleyes.gif . A major change was the replacement of the old GEM lever frames that were no longer suitable for the PECO points and these were changed to the contemporay Triang electric version. I considered route setting diodes and push to make switches but pulling the levers is far more fun.

Also changed is the track layout at the end to provide an extra passing loop through the station, while it might have been better to replace the 3 GEM points and simplify the layout this way I can still run around trains independently and besides the closest point will be in the 'hidden' section..

??? posted on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:03 am

Minor update, after looking at that picture above of the new station layout I had to fix the alignment of the trackwork icon_eek.gif , some things you just do not notice at the time!

Comment posted by pirouets on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 am

I've often thought that if I could model in 3mm rather than 2mm I would. To much invested in 2mm to swap these days, but will follow this with interest.

Comment posted by custodian on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 am

Encouraging stuff. I have looked at the extensive range of German models that seem to be around very cheaply on ebay and elsewhere from TT manufacturers such as Zeuke, Tillig and others.

??? posted on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am

Thought I would update all on the progress of my layout. A number of changes have taken place, most notably a complete reworking of the fiddle yard as the ealier arrangment with triang track was just not workable.

file.php?id=49554

So now we have 3 storage loops, plus a standard fiddle yard with Y junction for the main and branch lines...

file.php?id=49555

The scenic development has started but being a bit of a traditionalist and not having built any scenery for 20 years it is back to the old wire mesh. So I guess a bit of imagination is to get the full impact of the hill side areas.

file.php?id=49556

file.php?id=49557

file.php?id=49558

file.php?id=49579

Having tried the L girder open frame construction technique I thought a viaduct would suit the area, plust I managed to aquire half a dozen builder plus card bridge kits that were ripe for conversion despite being 4mm scale.

file.php?id=49561

file.php?id=49562

file.php?id=49563

file.php?id=49564

file.php?id=49565

Now to get started on the plaster bandage to cover the mesh and to find something local that resembles the hanging basket liner for grass!

file.php?id=49560

??? posted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:40 am

After a bit of fiddling with scenic products the whole thing is beginning to look more like a railway....

file.php?id=52081

file.php?id=52082

file.php?id=52084

file.php?id=52083

file.php?id=52085

file.php?id=52086

file.php?id=52087

file.php?id=52088

file.php?id=52089

file.php?id=52090

file.php?id=52091

Comment posted by Ravenser on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:35 am

This is starting to look good

??? posted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks mate, will look much better with ballast thought but that can wait until next weekend icon_smile.gif Incidentally, the goods shed/water towerbase and hut all came from the same 4mm Metcalf(?) goods shed I found in the bottom of the cupbard. Amazing what a little trimming down can do.

??? posted on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:01 am

Thought it was time to post a quick update. Cortesy of ebay so rather nice 3mm buildings arrived and these have been added to the layout. I am also starting to setle on a proper period and it will be c1966-1973. Of course I will have to limit the steam eara buying but sometimes you cannot resist.

file.php?id=74150

file.php?id=74151

file.php?id=74152

file.php?id=74153

file.php?id=74154

file.php?id=74155

file.php?id=74157

file.php?id=74160

file.php?id=74161

??? posted on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 am

Few more of the station area and high street.

file.php?id=74162

file.php?id=74163

file.php?id=74164

file.php?id=74165

file.php?id=74166

file.php?id=74167

file.php?id=74168

Comment posted by taybridge on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 am

Great progress. I hope I can keep up momentum like this. Good job!

??? posted on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 am

taybridge wrote:

Great progress. I hope I can keep up momentum like this. Good job!

Been going a little while but I get sidetracked as I have to build most of it . At least with 00 or N you can go to the model shop buy RTR stock so you have no excuse icon_wink.gif . Although just taken delivery of a dozen triang mk1s repainted blue/grey, now all I need are the locos!

Comment posted by pirouets on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 am

Its progressing nicely. I see you have settled on the same era i've just decided on. What range of diesels do you have for that? I noticed the 31, and in the last picture there was one I could not quite identify.

??? posted on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:13 am

Well, to be honest I am a bit short on appropriate motive power at the moment. We have half a dozen Triang 31s, 2 BEC class 47s, 1 class 33.

For steamers I am just going to use a couple of Brits, 4mt tank and standard 5, should be just right up to '68.

I am hoping to get started on a Western and Warship kit before going into anything more involved. There is a surprisingly a decent range of 3mm diesels avaliable, provided you can build etched brass kits. Just need a little more expereince before tackling something like that.

??? posted on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:45 am

Just managed to procure a 3mm Class 50 from ebay, fits in very well to the 'blue' era of the layout.

Comment posted by Ravenser on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Didn't know anyone had ever done a 50 in 3mm . More details please - does this look kit built or scratchbuilt?

Continued

Comment posted by MrMellie on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Blimey, I'm getting major flashbacks here!! icon_eek.gif

I was brought up on 3mil with my dad's layout. Seeing all that stock, loads of it is so familiar, the Brush Type 2's, Brittania, Merchant Navy, Jinty etc as we had them too (not that there was a huge range available really). Nice to see another layout in 3mm. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by mog on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 pm

just caught up with this. (I dip in and out of RMWeb)

Great to see another 3mm layout - it looks like a good fun layout too! Some of those buildings are great.

My own 3mm project is moving along slowly..although it's 14.2mm and considerably smaller than this room-filler!

Comment posted by DavidBelcher on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 am

I model in 00, but always good to see a 3mm layout on here. I'm a huge fan of Bilteezi structures - they always seem to fit really well into a post-war steam layout - and they've been used to great effect here. The Brush Type 2 without the yellow ends looks in superb nick for its age (ditto the Tri-ang motorised turntable), whilst the maroon Siphon parcels van is a nice model too.

David

??? posted on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am

Ravenser wrote:

Didn't know anyone had ever done a 50 in 3mm . More details please - does this look kit built or scratchbuilt?

I will know more in a couple of days when it arrives here in Oz, but it is certainly a kit huntinmg around at the moment for more info. Will put some pictures up when I can to give an idea of the quality/crudity.

??? posted on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks Mog, MrMellie, David your words are too kind. I was begining to think I was the only 3mm modeller on RMweb. icon_wink.gif As for the triang stock it is slowly getting usurped for kit built but some will always be there.

I cannot take credit for all the building as I bought some of them came from ebay for a very reasonable price. Only drawback with that was it made the other bilteezi buildings look decidedly average so I had to get on with a bit of proper job modelling.

The layout is almost fully operational so it can run as a terminus to fiddle, continious run, continious run with branch terminus end to end with the brach (well almost) I should really do a track plan to explain it better.

@Mog I am also getting ready to start a more 'scale' shelf layout (though still 12mm) based on a WR branch terminus for exhibition work here. The excuse is, there are not that many over here and I have alot of panniers and appropriate stock so I think I can get away with it.

@David, the green AIA on the layout is one of the tatty ones for running purposes. The turntable was a mint/boxed/never used until it went on the layout - and I managed to spill a load of thinners in the well icon_frustrated.gif . Still hand operated as I cannot manage to open the still sealed turntable motorising kit!.

I am a bit surprised at the quality of much triang TT for sale. I get the feeling that much of the triang TT has not been used much beyond initial purpose, whereas you can run the 00 on anything.

Comment posted by DavidBelcher on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:36 am

3millmodeller wrote:

@David, the green AIA on the layout is one of the tatty ones for running purposes.

I am a bit surprised at the quality of much triang TT for sale. I get the feeling that much of the triang TT has not been used much beyond initial purpose, whereas you can run the 00 on anything.

I'm surprised about the A1A - looks fine in the pics. It and its 00 'big brother' were very good models for the time, with some good detailing on the moulded bodies.

S/H TT does usually seem to be in a better state than Tri-ang 00 from the same era, maybe because it was sold as more of a model than a toy (and even if treated as a toy, more likely to be set up on the dining table thanks to its size) and so less chance of being played with on living room carpets and geting trodden on, clogged with fluff, melted by the fire, etc?

David

??? posted on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 am

I think you might be right about how the TT was used.That being said there are plenty of play worn jinties around from sets. I admit I have been particulary lucky with my purchases. I bought the initial lot of TT from a friend of mine father who picked it up in the early 70s. The majority of this was old shop stock bought direct from the local distribitor and was also supplimented with smaller collections around that time. So when I got my hands on it it had not been used for 40 years. Indeed I was not aware of the good fortune until I went through all the boxes, aside from 14 mint unopened cattle wagons (just an example) there are 4 mint signal gantries, continental buildings and coaches, fench pacific and other unusual/rare bits and pieces.

The AIA moulding is very good and the very tatty ones are being repainted BR blue. They can also be made into quite excellent runners, in my opinion, triang TT was much better engineered than 00. That FYE AIA in the pictures glides along the track smooth and silent, the other green one in the pictures is just as smooth and almost as quiet.

I have been deliberatly trying to buy tatty items for repainting but even then after a clean up with soapy water some of them come up like new. The maroon coaches are an example of this, looked pretty average but now quite shiny.

Comment posted by DavidBelcher on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 am

3millmodeller wrote:

The AIA moulding is very good and the very tatty ones are being repainted BR blue. They can also be made into quite excellent runners, in my opinion, triang TT was much better engineered than 00. That FYE AIA in the pictures glides along the track smooth and silent, the other green one in the pictures is just as smooth and almost as quiet.

Shame that Tri-ang never had enough time to build up a decent diesel/electric portfolio in TT. The BRCW DMU set (Class 104) was an equally good model - any plans to acquire one, or do they command silly money on the S/H market these days?

David

??? posted on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:04 pm

The triang DMU is a very nice model with..shall we be polite and say, variable running characteristics. They do go for pretty silly money on ebay.

I was fortunate to aquire 2 motor coaches/centres and would you believe 4 trailers (boxed/unused) with the initial lot of TT. So i thought I was pretty set up although down a couple of motor coaches. Then I was lucky enough to buy some TT from a local guy who thought it was not good enough for ebay - 2 more centres, motor and a couple of pullmans, all for around $80. I will probably repaint the tatty motor coach and one of the centres in blue and try and find a tatty dummy.

Comment posted by MartinWales on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm

You are right of course about the DMU, I managed to sell a good runner for ??????‚??125 a few years ago, which was nothing special!

Have seen decent ones go for a lot more-one on Ebay managed ??????‚??300+!

??? posted on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

I have been watching ebay recently and seen some pretty silly prices for things...150 for a blue/grey coach, 250 for the French stainless steel ones, currently there is a signal gantry for 90, continental water tower for 295 icon_eek.gif Even more surprising a bog standard Windsor Castle for 122 icon_lol.gif.

??? posted on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:39 am

Ok some quick updates, have been a bit busy so not as much progress as from some on here. But first the recently aquited calss 50, now waiting for some roof grilles and new transfers. Also thousand apologoes to ravenser as this model is scratchbuilt, and quite well done. It even came with 2 motor bogies which was a bit of a win.

file.php?id=81799

file.php?id=81802

Next on the list is a 9F , aquired from the bay of e at a not unreasonabke cost for a made up chassis/motor and body kit, only problem I have is I cannot get the back to backs right to make it run round the curves so it is in very expensive barry scrapyard condition until I can figure out what to do with it.

file.php?id=81800

file.php?id=81801

Although a model Barry wouldnt look too bad...

file.php?id=81803

Finally some proper job modelling bauxite wagons to give that late 60s/early 70s feel..

file.php?id=81804

file.php?id=81805

Comment posted by sithlord75 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Just had a look through this - very impressive. Love the viaduct icon_thumbsup2.gif Quite an interesting collection of stock you have there too.

Comment posted by leopard1299 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:15 pm

just to say thats a fine look class 50 there! and the 9f will make a good loco if you can make it work!

again thanks for the offer,the layouts looking rather impressive and the brush 31 looks a treat with all those wagons behinde it!

cheers ian icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks guys I have been a bit lazy with the viaduct as I need to re-stone the sides where the printed stoned washed away when water was applied -i think the office copirer is needed to produce more stonework. As for the 9F it runs very well but needs pickups and the BTBs set right but even incomplete it looks right. Guess I am a bit chicken in removing wheels and that valve gear. When finished though it might be the first move to a more scale, less triang approach.

Comment posted by James on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Is that the Branchlines chassis under the 9F?

Comment posted by steve22 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 pm

This is a really good layout. I was impressed by the early picture of the station throat - no fancy pointwork but it simply looked really good. I didn't realise as I scrolled down how much it was all going to develop. To each his own though as they say - sad to read that from the doorway you can see the TV. I knew there had to be a draw back to this fine layout, somewhere!!

Steve

Comment posted by James on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Is that the Branchlines chassis under the 9F?

Certainly is and very nicely made, too bad it wont go round anything on the layout so will have to go!

Comment posted by steve22 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 pm

This is a really good layout. I was impressed by the early picture of the station throat - no fancy pointwork but it simply looked really good. I didn't realise as I scrolled down how much it was all going to develop. To each his own though as they say - sad to read that from the doorway you can see the TV. I knew there had to be a draw back to this fine layout, somewhere!!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I agree with the simple is better and have been thinking about that recently. The whole layout is about to be dismantled in preparation for a house move. We will rebuild and it will be simpler and better avoiding some of the mistakes made with this one! - but being the first layout I built in 20 years you get a steep learning curve. And the next one will be away from the TV, though being in close proximity to the living area has a number of advantages with access to tea/coffee, warmth and SWMBO...indeed it was insisted that there be a layout room in the new house rather than a shed for that reason!!

I love this layout! I don't know what it is about it, since I never had TT, but it stirs something in me that says "I want it".

I'm glad I found it here in the new forum. I went looking for it on the old before it crashed but couldn't find it.

Well done Sir.

Hi Don, glad somone likes it!. I had only just finished transferring the topic and was closing off the old one. 3mm is certainly fun though and have been buying/building yet more rolling stock (blue diesels, 2251, autocoach, hall, mogul..). Going to have a serious think about the new layout, will be able to salvage alot from the old one...even the architect likes model railways (has lots of 1:100 people from building archtect scale models) and is going to have the builder make all the baseboards for me as part of the house build! :icon_biggrin:

I didn't know about the house build. That will cause quite an hiatus in the model railway progress. Have you a definite plan for the new layout?

Not much layout progress now as a result, just building wagon kits and rewheeling coaches. No definate plans just yet but many ideas, it will all depend on the amount of space in the new house (but it will be more :-)). I want to try out some things I have been wanting to do for a while, I particularly like industrial railways e.g. NCB so I am thinking about a set of exchange sidings for an 'empty full' setup along with a simple through station some distance away. This way blue diesels could run with a black NCB pannier. The new layout has to be much more spacious with less track as I fell into the old trap of cramming too much in. I particularly liked the viaduct section of the old layout so something with that sort of feel will be good.

Anyhow I will also investigate the option of a second shelf layout above the fiddle yard for a GWR branch terminus based around Staines West. I figure the GWR is a bit less popular a subject than it was 30 years ago and besides I can run all my GWR stock and PECO private owner wagons. Hopefully this will become a proper portable exhibition layout, handbuilt pointwork, working signals and all that can get some 3mm into the public here.

Anyhow I need a simple distraction from the SM32 live steam garden railway......

Well most of the TT locos I have come accross are pretty terrible, only fit for rebuilding or spares, especially those stored for a long time so if you dont need them I will happily give them a home. ;);)

On a serious note, Triang TT is IMHO far better built than Triang OO. I have some locos that glide very smooth almost silently. Most of them seem to work very well with just a bit of cleaning and a decent service. Are you trying to run them on Triang TT track?, that stuff is pretty awful and even I cannot get decent running on the mint unused track that I have.

What a coincidence! I was looking for this thread the other day - nice to see it again and updated. More 3mm! :rolleyes:

Most of the updates relate to rolling stock I am afraid...more coming though and I am just getting into 3mm society wagon kits. Progress to come will be dismantiling and planning the MK2 version of the layout with less track and more space.

• 2 weeks later...

Good pictures and layout.

Have you ever dug up any Aussie TT?

The VR actually had an exhibition layout in TT and a couple of the wagons were shown in AMRM many years ago.

Here's a half-done attempt at a VR NN but it is for narrow gauge:

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=10702

Ben

Nice to see this back on the new RMWeb, please keep up us updated on progress. I must admit at one point I nearly went down the 3mm route. It just seemed the right scale to get some nice scenics done, more a railway in setting than 4mm, but bigger than than 2mm and the watchmakers skills required. So I ended up going for 7mm instead!!

Archived