Modern Locomotives Illustrated 192 - The Peaks

EddieB

Hi Pennine,

yes it might be an old chestnut about waiting to the doormat/ email inbox chimes with shots/articles but you don't think we are proactive in finding out information etc, take the 81 mag, for the modelling section to start with i only had the O gauge shots, i had to get out and source all the rest, (with thanks to everyone that helped on that) some of the models used are now very rare, and they don't have all that many shots online, let alone contacting the website owners, and with the lists of data that I've started putting in, they take alot of research to make sure they are as accurate as possible.

The Peaks and 50s were a little easier, but finding the quality that you need for magazines is rather higher than websites, so you might find the rarest shot of a model, but the person has resized the shot and not saved the original :/ so its virtually useless (we can do some editing).

With the section Im trying to put as much information and listings to what has been or is available in as many scales as possible (for the 50 article coming up, that was 12 companies from N through to 5in Gauge), rather than competing with Railway Modeller, Model Rail etc

Whether or not its personally read by people i don't mind (the more readers the merrier), I'm just asking the people if there is any pointers that they would like seeing in the modelling section or if I'm on the right track (pun intended :rolleyes: ).

Antony

Thanks for the reply Antony, though I'm not sure a response from me is relevant as it seems to be purely about the model angle. Anyway, after three failed attempts due to the forum hanging I've now found the thread with the discussion the last time contributions came up:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29819-modern-locomotives-illustrated/page__view__findpost__p__317294

Having refreshed my memory of it, there are obviously legitimate problems on all sides, but I'd still like to think something more could be done.

Also (IIRC) one was trialled on the Norwich line services, possibly mid to late 70s. 45006 'Horrible Artillery Company' springs to mind.

You remembered correctly, there is a photo of it in Dr Ian Allen's 'Diesels in East Anglia' running through Diss undergoing timing trials in 1974.

Ill see what can be done re the rest of the magazine, but if someone sees a lack of photos from an area cropping up, would they like to send photos in as tbh it is a one man band on the editorial side although me, Keith and Jean do help. The email addresses are

editor@modern-locoillustrated.com or editor@mli-magazine.com

on the model side you can email me on tc.83a@blueyonder.co.uk or models@mli-magazine.com

Contributions will be paid of photos used.

Antony

Archived