Junction inspiration/pictures needed

cromptonnut

I'm currently struggling with a small part of my layout and hope someone can give me some prototype inspiration, location and/or pictures please.

I have a two track main line, and a single line freight line/branch coming on to it.

I'm not sure whether I'd have a double track diamond junction with the branch splitting to both lines, or a ladder type where the branch comes on to one line then there's a two points crossover to the other line. I'm guessing that a double slip wouldn't be normally used on a high speed main line unless space was very tight?

Traffic is likely to be fairly light so doubling the branch isn't an option I feel necessary - plus that would make the track tight to get into the space I have available anyway.

I'm nominally urban, London, early 1990's ish NSE territory, should that make any difference.

The double junction to single branch and double slips on higher-speed lines were both common traditionally but I think it's most unlikely either would still have been around in 1990, especially if the signalling on your layout dates from the 60s or later (ie almost all colour lights). I'd go for the ladder every time.

Ok ladder it'll be then, thanks. I thought it was likely for my era but there's always a prototype somewhere to prove the obvious wrong :)

I'm guessing they'd all more or less look the same, but can you think of any offhand I can use for inspiration? Or is it literally three points following each other?

Archived