Hornby Railroad compound 4-4-0

edward66

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if it will have proper wheels or will they have 'lastic bands fitted. Interesting about the tender - hope it's reasonably close to the prototype.

John

If it is based on the T9 & schools 4-4-0 chasis then I would say it will have traction tyres.

Is it an all new tender, or just one pinched from the 2P/4F?

From the image I saw it looks to be a new tender based on one of the Deeley designs, ie : long wheelbase and high running plate intended to line up the loco running plate. However it sat noticeably lower than the running plate on the loco. I suspect Hornby has tried to upgrade the model but it falls well short of the NRM's scale model. Folk will have to ask themselves if this Railroad model is worth £80.00 when there are scale models of other prototypes around for this price. I think it is worth £56.00, as for this price it is worth putting in the extra work in order to produce a reasonable Compound.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Took delivery of the Hornby Compound on Christmas Day (unexpected present!).

Traction tyres are a feature on one set of drivers - as on the other recently released Hornby 4-4-0s. It is quite a light model with few metal componenets except the front pony truck. Pickups are on the other drivers and via the tender with a DCC socket and 6 wires connecting the tender to the engine.

Have to say that I am not sure about the tender. I think it is the original tender drive moulding that was intended to accomodate the old Ringfield mechanism. Not sure if this is a Deeley design or intended as a Fowler 3500 tender? If it is a Fowler 3500 it is about 8mm (scale 2') too long. It also features raised mouldings to simplify the lining process - not sure if this "beading" is prototypical on a Deeley tender, but it is certainly not right if it is the Fowler version.

I have tried to find out about the tender, without much success. Would anyone else have any insights on the tender and its origins? As I have a spare Fowler tender that might find itself coupled to the compound in the future!

Obviously does not hold any comparisons to the Bachmann NRM model, but at 1/3rd of the price that would be an unreasonable expectation, IMHO.

Steve

One of these or a 2P is destined for my WB with the intention of using the chassis under a heavily upgraded Maunsell L1 body.

Why not use the (new) loco drive Railroad Schools, Hornby Schools or Hornby T9 loco chassis as these have the correct coupled wheelbase for the Maunsell L1 (10'0") rather than the 2P or compound 9'6" ??

Ian

Archived