Plans, Diagrams and Useful Pictures of Buildings

Russ (mines a pint)

• RMweb Gold

Railway modellers are often good at over romanticising settings, as a gesture to the humble buildings which get ignored I bring you:

http://www.aberdeens...ppendix%202.pdf

- which gives a good plan of a fairly well designed (at least in the context of social housing) 3 bedroom semi (or sometimes as units of 4) which I've posted here as not seen any varients outside Scotand- yet.

There are numbers of these houses in most of the rural counties of Scotland- they can appear as timber, precast, roughcast or brick from the outside. The ones in Argyll were refurbished significantly earlier than this Aberdeenshire report.

- just thought the plan might be useful.

• RMweb Gold

I've just retitled, as thinking it'd be a good place for all Scottish building info:

Link below contains many useful plans and diagrams of Scottish church buildings, many of them would make interesting modelling projects.

http://www.maintainyourchurch.org.uk/MaintenanceArticles/Topic1TypesofChurchBuilding/TraditionalBuildings/tabid/110/Default.aspx

• 1 month later...

I've just retitled, as thinking it'd be a good place for all Scottish building info:

Link below contains many useful plans and diagrams of Scottish church buildings, many of them would make interesting modelling projects.

http://www.maintainy...10/Default.aspx

............and an interesting warning in the case study for St John's Girvan about not ignoring warnings of rot in roof timbers for eight years................

says a chartered building surveyor!!

Can I recommend a book "Buildings of the Scottish Countryside" by Robert J Naismith. My edition was published in 1985, and I see copies are available on Amazon. 200+ pages of descriptions, photographs, and drawings. For "Countryside" read also "Small Towns". I find it invaluable for inspiration.

Allan F

Can I recommend a book "Buildings of the Scottish Countryside" by Robert J Naismith.

And I would second that, along with:

Rural Architecture of Scotland - Alexander Fenton and Bruce Walker.

The latter is a little bit more of an analysis of the development of rural buildings and includes a lot of drawings of buildings. The latter is a little bit more of an analysis of building form and includes useful chapters of the different types of elements of a building that is found across scotland - eg windows, portches, gables, chimneys etc. Both are turn to books if I make scottish buildings.

It is listed on Amazon but is not cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

And I would second that, along with:

Rural Architecture of Scotland - Alexander Fenton and Bruce Walker.

The latter is a little bit more of an analysis of the development of rural buildings and includes a lot of drawings of buildings. The latter is a little bit more of an analysis of building form and includes useful chapters of the different types of elements of a building that is found across scotland - eg windows, portches, gables, chimneys etc. Both are turn to books if I make scottish buildings.

It is listed on Amazon but is not cheap.

with regard to Architecture of Scotland I have a few files showing Domestic Architecture of Scotland may be of intrest for a scratch builder for a scottish layout

eddie

post-6643-0-18846200-1327705559_thumb.jpg

post-6643-0-38536200-1327705583_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

how widespread were the stepped gables as shown on the old manse? being fairly ignorant of architechtural matters, i am aware that they are particularly wwell known in fife, esp. in the east neuk

Archived