Airbrush sprayable varnish

Has anyone used Daler-Rowney Soluble Matt Varnish (thins with white spirit) to seal inkjet printed paper? It says it's for acryllics, but it's the only matt one I can find that says it's sprayable. I;ve taken advice from a decent art shop about this, and have some to experiment (after I visit Wigan spend some money with Eileen's.)

I know there's aerosol cans - but I prefer the extra controlability and some will have to be brushed anyway.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used Daler-Rowney Soluble Matt Varnish (thins with white spirit) to seal inkjet printed paper? It says it's for acryllics, but it's the only matt one I can find that says it's sprayable. I;ve taken advice from a decent art shop about this, and have some to experiment (after I visit Wigan spend some money with Eileen's.)

I have a bottle of Cryla brand matt varnish, for sealing acrylics, bought at an art shop probably ten years ago. It says it can be sprayed if thinned with white spirit, though I have not tried spraying it. The instructions imply that brushing would be superior.

I've just started a batch of inkjet-printed card building, and have varnished a test building which will be left in a fairly sunny position for a few weeks to see what happens. If that fades, I'll have to invest in light-stable ink cartridges, or paying someone with a posh printer to produce things. I've not been happy with laser-printed materials due to a waxy surface which won't take paint or other colours.

- Nigel

John I have just bought some Windsor and Newton Galeria acrylic varnish form Hobbycraft as it was on offer. I thinned it with Tamiya acrylic thinner.

All I can say excellent I applied it very heavily from my airbrush onto a Scalescenes inkjet print, no running and no film. Slight indication of darkening which only enhanced the print.

I had previously used Humbrol Matt acrylic from an aerosol which always lighted the print and left it a bleached whiteness.

Archived