Calcified Seaweed PGAs in Cornwall

Hi,

I am after several pieces of information:

Firstly how did PGAs end up in this service? Were they leased to BR or a Private Owner?

I keep reading references to them being covered, yet I can't find any photos of them covered online or in my Maurice Dart/ John Vaughan books, are there any online?

Does anyone know the where the flow went to/from? I know it is used in Scotland and Norfolk, would I be right in a assuming it went from Cornwall to Seven Tunnel Jn in a Speedlink train?

Many thanks for any help,

Jack

Hi,

I am after several pieces of information:

Firstly how did PGAs end up in this service? Were they leased to BR or a Private Owner?

I keep reading references to them being covered, yet I can't find any photos of them covered online or in my Maurice Dart/ John Vaughan books, are there any online?

Does anyone know the where the flow went to/from? I know it is used in Scotland and Norfolk, would I be right in a assuming it went from Cornwall to Seven Tunnel Jn in a Speedlink train?

Many thanks for any help,

Jack

Google threw this up from an earlier iteration of RM Web:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6667&start=0

Bear in mind that this is supposition, but if they were covered PGA's, then they were most likely the ones built for Salt traffic, and would have been hired from a wagon leasing company.

IIRC that the salt PGAs were slightly longer than their aggregate cousins. Weren't covered HEAs used on this traffic as well at one point?

• RMweb Gold

Certainly the photos that I have acquired when I was researching my Calcified Seaweed rake show the PGAs uncovered in Yeoman livery. Cant remember the exact owner, but it was one of the wagon leasers Caib off the top of my head. I guess the leaser had a few wagons that Yeoman didnt require or Yeoman had a surplus and sub leased them.

Covered HEAs were an EWS experiment in the late 90s/early 2000s iirc, with open HEAs used on the seaweed in the late 80s/early 90s along with the PGAs and POAs.

The EWS covered trial is the only reference to covered wagons I came across.

At least the first part of your assumption is spot on, they were definitely Speedlink from Cornwall and Severn Tunnel Junction rings a bell. I will try and have a dig later in the week and see if any more of my research remains on my external drive.

Archived