Signalling at West Kirby, late 1970, early 1980

It's not an LNWR box ....

Lets look at the signal boxes at West Kirby a hundred years ago*, at this time there were two signal boxes, an all wooden box, next to the one in the photos, which was of Wirral origin, ie Railway Signal Company structure (think Hoylake), and a second box on the Hooton line, opposite the platforms on what was called the "Joint Station" (not the Wirral station), this was an LNWR type 4, composite (bottom brick, upper wood) box.

In 1937, when the electrification came the LMS replaced both boxes with the structure seen here, a standard LMS composite.

The nameboard, which I own, on the front, was the original nameboard fitted when the box opened, it has rounded ends, the one clearly visible in the unit shot, is a later LMS addition, with square ends.

hth

* a random length of time, basically pre 1937, post roughly 1880.

Oooooops!!! Thanks for that, beast. It shows you should never assume anything!! The only photos I'd seen up until this one were taken from the road bridge and I just assumed it was LNWR. If I'd thought harder, it couldn't have been, as the LNWR had no influence at this station. I must admit this photo did make me wonder - I do remember thinking I'd not seen one like that before, but not having studied boxes in detail, didn't follow it up!!

I'll use the LNWR box for now, but put it on the "To Change" list!!

Rod

The date I have for the box opening is 1932 and it is an early LMSR standard design (with Midland style corner fillets at the top of the windows).

When the Wirral Railway built the present station, there was discussion with the joint Companies over building a joint station to replace the existing 2 stations.

You could assume that the LNWR provided the signal box as part of works to construct this joint station but that discussions, in the event, still failed and the stations were built as they actually were.

A slight precedent for this (skewed) thinking is that at Welshpool, the LNWR provided 2 type 4 boxes, even though the station was on the Cambrian Railways.

The date I have for the box opening is 1932 and it is an early LMSR standard design (with Midland style corner fillets at the top of the windows).

When the Wirral Railway built the present station, there was discussion with the joint Companies over building a joint station to replace the existing 2 stations.

You could assume that the LNWR provided the signal box as part of works to construct this joint station but that discussions, in the event, still failed and the stations were built as they actually were.

A slight precedent for this (skewed) thinking is that at Welshpool, the LNWR provided 2 type 4 boxes, even though the station was on the Cambrian Railways.

That's the kind of thinking I like!! Thanks, Keith.

Rod

That's a great picture, Michael. But just look at the state of the platform roof!!

That roof will be a significant feature of the model: has anyone any ideas as to how can I get drawings, or any other detail, about it? I'll email the LMS Society to see if they've any information, for a start.

It is glazed at the present time, but I can't be sure if it is from this photo (it's very dirty if it is!!) I'm sure I've seen an old aerial photo which definitely shows it wasn't glazed.

Rod

That's a great picture, Michael. But just look at the state of the platform roof!!

That roof will be a significant feature of the model: has anyone any ideas as to how can I get drawings, or any other detail, about it? I'll email the LMS Society to see if they've any information, for a start.

It is glazed at the present time, but I can't be sure if it is from this photo (it's very dirty if it is!!) I'm sure I've seen an old aerial photo which definitely shows it wasn't glazed.

Rod

P83 of "Merseyside & District Railway Stations" by Paul Bolger published by The Bluecoat Press in 1994 has a photo of the new canopy in 1939 and light can be seen coming through it (the photo was taken on a dull day). The canopy appears to be unpainted.

The photo is credited to Stations UK which is run by Paul Bolger and his contact details can be found on the Disused staions website

• 2 weeks later...

P83 of "Merseyside & District Railway Stations" by Paul Bolger published by The Bluecoat Press in 1994 has a photo of the new canopy in 1939 and light can be seen coming through it (the photo was taken on a dull day). The canopy appears to be unpainted.

The photo is credited to Stations UK which is run by Paul Bolger and his contact details can be found on the Disused staions website

Hi Keith.

I've got a copy of the book now and it gives me some more of the information I need. The trusses (if that's the right description - maybe "ribs") at the top are not covered in as they are now. Certainly the openings immediately above the platform have always been glazed but it's the trusses/ribs I am concerned about. I'm not a civil engineer (or any sort of engineer, come to that!!) but it seems to me they are to hold up the canopies. In michael delamar's photo in post #83, they can be seen, dirty or rusty.

However, in this one I took recently, glazing has been fitted over them:

post-7571-0-62022600-1339969810_thumb.jpg

I'm looking to see how many there are, but if I can't find a detailed plan, I'll guesstimate!

Thanks for the reference.

Rod

Archived