The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another e-mail scam!

• RMweb Premium

As some of you know, I work in a call centre working with Broadband, and have been alerted to yet another phishing scam - anybody out there with a BT Internet account, it is yet another of these scams - note the spellings, grammar, and differing fonts, which give it away - however, there are some customers who have, I believe, fallen for this one.

To:

Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2011, 13:41

Subject: Verify Now.

bt_yahoo_logo.gif

banner_bt.jpg

Dear BT Customer,

This is for your own safety to avoid the closure of your BT internet mail. You will have to verify your account by filling out your Log-in information below by clicking the reply button. We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause.

Full Name:

Username:

Password:

Date of birth:

Country or Territory:

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your BT internet mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this BT internet account if this request isn't granted on time.

Thank you for your usual co-operation. We apologize for the inconvenience.

bt-320x150.jpg

Sincerely,

Member Service Team.

Guest dilbert

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that your account Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update your Billing Information. Failure to update your records will result in account termination.

Click on update your information below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records on our data base.

Click on crappy link to confirm your Billing Information records with us now.

Thanks,

Apple Customer Support

I received this today. The only Apples I have come from the fruit&veg market stall... dilbert

Posted · Hidden by Raffles, November 23, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Raffles, November 23, 2011 - No reason given

Don't normally get these but a couple of days back, I got this:

You sent a payment of 84.59 GBP to Skype (noreply@skype.com)

Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Merchant

noreply@skype.com Instructions to merchant

You haven't entered any instructions. Shipping address - Unconfirmed

United Kingdom Postage details

The seller hasn’t provided any postage details yet. Description Unit price Qty Amount Online Number, 6 month subscription 84.59 GBP 1 84.59 GBP Subtotal 84.59 GBP Total 84.59 GBP Issues with this transaction?

If you haven't authorized this charge, apply at:

crappy link and your money will be returned.

I thought the dumbest thing was that the email address was Skype when it should have come from Paypal. They typed in the link but hovering over it proved that it was going to take me somewhere terrible.

Folly. Sheer, folly.

Gentlemen whislt appreciating the advice given we have covered this ground many times and all the same good advice about deleting any email which asks for details including passwords and generally not following links is still relevant.

Archived