JLTRT Diesel kits........

JeffP

My 60th birthday is next year. I'm thinking of asking the wife for a JLTRT kit. Nothing is yet decided, she will probably say "Too dear", but no harm in researching.

I would really like a "Western", but the Peaks attract me too.

Now my question is this: surely there are FAR more details on a Peak than on a Western? Given the bogie design and the hidden underframes the Westerns had?

So would I finish up disappointed in a western, it not being as detailed a build as the Peak, yet the same, very high, price?

I already have some MMP kits, before anyone says about wealth of detail, but unfortunately, David Parkins doesn't do either of my fancies.......and NO-ONE does Falcon.:mad:

If Pete Waterman is reading this: Pete: look at how quickly Heljan sold out of the first 1000 "Falcons" in 4mm..........and then the second 1000.........

Now my question is this: surely there are FAR more details on a Peak than on a Western? Given the bogie design and the hidden underframes the Westerns had?

So would I finish up disappointed in a western, it not being as detailed a build as the Peak, yet the same, very high, price?.

Both locos need research costs, an expensive resin bodyshell, castings, etchings so the extra couple of of bits for castings and on the etch will be a very small amount of money.

The Western does have pipes visible under the skirt and quite a complex bogie that has the brake gear visible rather than hidden behind bogie side frames and axleboxes.

A couple of Westerns have been built on here though you'll have to use google to search at the moment.

I'm afraid you have both misunderstood me.

Although I mention cost, since it IS high, (when you can get a fully built Gauge 1 Class 66 for FAR less, complete with two motors, all wheels, pickups, lighting, even smoke), my question really had nothing to do with cost. Sorry.

If I were solely interested in cost, I'd make MMP locos.

But I fancy a Western, or a Peak.

What I was trying to ask, was, given that both cost the same, high, price, does the Peak have MORE detail, and would it then be more time-consuming to build, and thus giving more enjoyment per £ to it's builder?

Hard to quantify, I know, but IS the Peak more detailed? If I saw both kits unboxed, side by side, would the Peak have more bags of castings?

Jeff, the Peak does have more bits than a Western. The Peaks I built had etched bogies and sideframes with loads of bits but I think they are now resin bogies. You could give them a ring to see if they will do the etched ones. Even with resin bogies I would say the Peak has a bit more to it, only just mind you. One advantage with a Peak as well is that there should be no filling to do as all the joints on the model are there on the real loco whereas on the Western there is a long joint to fill between the roof and bodyside.

Archived