Batch roof manufacture - advice requested

I build Austrian narrow gauge in 7mm. - there are not a lot of people who do in UK, I suspect. Go to Schmalspur-Modell-Forum :: Thema anzeigen - Helfenberg im Muehlviertel for some pix. The main problem is the supply of suitable coaching stock. Some years ago WMK of Vienna made a kit for the standard 4w. 25' coaches, all rebuilt on a variety of older chassis, I wish I had bought more than two at the time but they were quite pricey, £60 delivered at the time. The last ones to appear on Ebay want at about €300 each.

*faints*

So I am going to have build some, probably five or so. Chassis is easy = modified Magic train. The sides will be etched brass - I've found someone to who is prepared to make those.

I need a reliable way of making the roofs, the originals were steel pressings, a moderate ellipse in the middle but turning down sharply at the sides so that they pick up the vertical line of the coach sides. They are not the kind of shape that I could turn out with rolling bars - the middle perhaps but not the sides.

The options seems to be:

a. resin casting - would there be warping issues?

b. pressed metal - who would be able to do it though?

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

• RMweb Premium

I have just faced the same problem with the roofs for my EMU stock on Lancaster Green Ayre. I drew the required profile out and took it to a local joiner (Who happens to be an undertaker) and he machined all the roofs for me.(2metres in all in 5 sections). These had a rebate underneath to locate into the coach sides. At the same time I got 5metres of seating done to the profile of the prototype seats and the whole lot cost me £50. If you are interested I will try and post some photos when our exhibition is over and I have some time.

Jamie

That's helpful to know, Jamie: I would have one problem though, which is that the roof projects over both brake platforms and is fairly thin, about 1.5mm, hence the concern about using resin moulding. I guess I could plane up a piece of hardwood to shape plasticard onto, just add boiling water, but it is quite difficult to get consistency that way.

• RMweb Premium

The plasticard method is very good. I used that as a method of curvung the coach sides for the emu's. I used softwood to get the correct shape then wrapped the plasticard tightly onto it with an open weave bandage. Then the wood was put in the boiling water for a couple of minutes then taken out and left to dry. You could even try doing this twice and laminating the pieces together.

Jamie

That's helpful to know, Jamie: I would have one problem though, which is that the roof projects over both brake platforms and is fairly thin, about 1.5mm, hence the concern about using resin moulding. I guess I could plane up a piece of hardwood to shape plasticard onto, just add boiling water, but it is quite difficult to get consistency that way.

First, as anyone who knows me will understand I have a vested interest in resin casting (Port Wynnstay Models) but!

I am at a loss to understand this fixation that resin has to be thick and that it warps for no good reason.

Unless you are going to stand it in a window with strong sunlight on it all the time it won't warp, and under the same conditions plastic sheet will be no better.

Most of my coach and vehicle sides are only 0.40" (1.00mm)to 0.60"(1.50) thick and this includes sides for 7mm kits for Festiniog bogie stock getting towards 240mm long x 45mm high and only .060"(1.5mm) thick over the beading. The display model for one of these coaches has been doing the rounds of the shows on my trade stand , bounced around in travel , handled by customers, some of whome are none too gentle, etc. for over 10 years with no sign of deformation.

I also supply a resin roof of a similar profile to the one you describe for a 7mm kit of 'Taliesin' which is 1.25mm at its thickest with edges only 0.45 mm thick, it is more rigid than plastic sheet and again will only deform under the same conditions that plastic sheet will. All this of course depends on using the correct resin for the job and there are a multitude of different ones, some of which are not any use at all for modellers.

I think most of the myths about resin are due to peoples experience of the early resins which were brittle and unstable, they've improved out of all proportion over the last 20+ years!

Sorry for this semi rant but after seeing this repeated so many times by so many people I had to vent my feeling and try to dispel the myths. I don't believe resin is the answer to all our problems and some of my kits are multi media because some parts are better etched or cast in whitemetal.

Phil T.

Sorry for this semi rant but after seeing this repeated so many ttimes by iso many people I had to vent my feeling and try to dispel the myths.

Phil T.

No need to apologise at all - you have addressed the uncertainties that I had quite directly! If a resin roof could be made for these coaches it would solve my problem very neatly ... stand by for a PM!

Archived