AC to DC on the move at North pole

More WLL progress, this week has seen the what always seems a very long stop (actually 2 mins) to change from AC to DC or vv at North Pole no more on 378's. These units slow down at North pole but the shoes drop on the move Southbound and the pan drops too. Not sure if the Southern 377's do it. Did have a 313 do the move without stopping once but also several 377/378 failures when the pan's or shoes failed

does mean extended stops at Shephers Bush or WN Jn as a rsult tho...

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

• RMweb Gold

The 313s, at least in Silverlink's early days, were certainly not supposed to do the change on the fly. The fleet people at Bletchley would not have been happy, although I witnessed it on at least one occasion Southbound. From NR's point of view, if they are as anxious about pathways as they - like Railtrack before them - always say they are, then making an alternative arrangement ought to be a good idea. Olympia seems the best changeover place to me.

It was always my understanding that the bridge north of Shepherds Bush and the lack of clearance thereunder was the reason for changing over at North Pole. If clearances have been improved it shows that there is a first time for everything: all too oftern Network Rail reduce clearances by tamoing and packing, which has the effect of making more and more routes out of gauge for kettles.

Chris

Archived