Hornby Trout (EM Conversion).

I have received, today, two of the new Hornby Trout 25 ton Ballast Hoppers.

One in NE grey livery and the other in BR Olive Green livery.

First appearances reveal that they are excellent wagons.

They compare well to the two drawings I have, one in LNER Wagons by Peter Tatlow and the other in LMS Wagons, Vol 1, by R.J. Essery. These books give a brief history, but basically the same wagons were built by Leeds Forge Co Ltd for both the LMS, (20 wagons) and LNER, .

Both are going to be re-painted into early 1950's BR Black livery.

I work in EM gauge and it took me exactly 3 minutes to convert the wagon with new wheelsets. (This included taking the tension lock couplings and mounting plate off the wagon). The new wheelsets fitted into place first time with only slight binding on the insides of the axle boxes. The brake gear was already at the right spacing for EM gauge, so no adjustment was needed here.

On examination the only other detailing jobs that need doing are:-

Brake rigging.

Screw link coupling fitted. (On LNER version).

(LMS had 3 link couplings and shorter buffers than those modelled).

I will post some photos when they go through works for a re-paint.

Agree, entirely. They are one of the easiest conversions to EM gauge, I have done. I have re-lettered/numbered mine for the North Eastern Area - empty to Lackenby Slag Plant. On point though, there is a discussion going on about whether they should be in LNER Engineer's Department Blue. My own feeling is that LNER grey is right. Thoughts, anyone.

Not sure about the base colour for an LNER version, I have decided to leave this one in LNER Grey, but as running in early BR days.

One point I noticed last night is that the axleboxes have BR(E) embosssed on them, so would need altering for a wagon in LNER or LMS days.

Painted an Olive Green one black last night and I am now awaiting delivery of Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet for the Trouts.

Archived