The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Help - Teacher Training

S.A.C Martin

Guest dilbert

Actually it is the start of a rant about children as tins of beans and the cost to the teaching profession in terms of jobs, cash and humanity squandered on Ofsted but it is Rmweb not speakers corner.

Agreed, unfortunately the education system is geared to that of industrial production values... volume material in, and identical product is the output - it doesn't work like that with kids which the grey faces don't seem to grasp... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, unfortunately the education system is geared to that of industrial production values... volume material in, and identical product is the output - it doesn't work like that with kids which the grey faces don't seem to grasp... dilbert

The last advice given in the final PGCE lecture I had in 1975 was "Remember, children are not pigeons"

• RMweb Gold

A reference to Skinner maybe.

Yes. Fortunately I don't think many of us leaving the Keele PGCE course in 1975 did approve of him. We were also given another piece of advice about not applying for jobs in a certain town but that was about pay and promotion rather than pigeons.

• RMweb Premium

. Though it is nice to know that the old prejudices about teachers who go into training can't cut it the classroom still live on in senior school management.

I don't know about schooling but I've come across that sentiment in industry many times and not just from senior management, more often from those being trained whom are more knowledgeable or 'current' than the tutor, there are similar comments re 'consultants'. Unfortunately there are, (in industry), more than enough examples of the breed to make the stereotype thrive, let alone live on.

One thing doesn't change though. The tutor/trainer/examiner that has empathy with their students needs in all forms, be that technical or personal, and can provide the tuition that makes the student learn and improve and enjoy the experience is worth their weight in gold, and any organisation that has such an individual in their staff needs to hold on to them..

• RMweb Gold

I feel that that the tutor is duty bound to offer some constructive criticism. It really would be interesting to know exactly what the problem is so it can be remedied. I fear that what I write from here on may just be offering an egg to suck on.

The dreaded 'O' seemed to like what I did on their last visit and I'm no Aristotle,but here is my pound of flesh for what it's worth. I advise that the plan should be quite simple (otherwise it's impossible to use) you just have to include the basics.

Starter/warm up - always a good opportunity to brush up on some of those basic skills - 'Big Writing' is good for that but I'm biased, look it up on 'tinterweb' it's not as daft as it sounds.

Teaching Activity - review previous learning and state the lesson objectives and outcomes for this session, oh and teaching!

Learning Activity - and don't forget the differentiation!

Plenary - remember to refer back to the objectives.

Don't forget a nod towards SEN, resources (both physical and human - use of TA etc.), assessment and what might happen next time. Oh I like to make a note about where the lesson fits in with the mid term plans etc.

That should do for a student teacher... surely???

• RMweb Gold

Simon,

Perhaps you girlfriend's tutor is being ultra cautious, bearing in mind the introduction of the new Ofsted framework in January.

Regards,

Peter

Perhaps but the new professional standards are probably of concern... even so we are just looking a potential QTS rather than a than an AST.

These are the current 'planning' requirements for someone attaining QTS

Q22

Plan for progression across the age and ability range for which they are trained, designing effective learning sequences within lessons and across series of lessons and demonstrating secure subject/curriculum knowledge.

Q23

Design opportunities for learners to develop their literacy, numeracy and ICT skills.

Q24

Plan homework or other out-of-class work to sustain learners' progress and to extend and consolidate their learning.

Nothing too scary there????

Martin - to echo Jon's offer above I've sent you a PM with contact details. I'm also happy to send through some plans of my own if they'd be of use (although they're for science the basic format is identical).

As to the more general discussion - as a trainee my tutor (distinct from my mentor) saw me teach only twice, and as a result saw only two lesson plans. Unfortunately, the Q standards nicely disguise the actual complexity of the task - "effective learning" is the particular problem. That phrase is something of a catch-all for "Write a lesson plan that contains at the least a starter, main and plenary; as well as differentiated tasks, independent learning, activities accessible to VAK learners, SEN information, classroom management techniques, formative assessment, pace, pupil data on FFTD and teacher targets, levelled objectives and outcomes, use of additional adults, use of technology, links to PLTS, homework etc. etc." the list goes on.

In short, I sympathise! (Especially if trying to show all of that in one observation).

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

being in teacher training myself, though at an earlier stage than Charlie would appear to be, I can well sympathise with her situation. As you may have read in passing on ERs, I had a five-week basic teaching experience placement at a school in August and September, and did find teaching to involve a rather steep learning curve in itself. And I'm sure more of this kind of feeling will follow once I enter my probationary posting when I'm through with my study phase - assuming everything continues to go well.

As it is, I seem to understand that teacher training here in Germany would appear to be somewhat different from that in the UK, and given both this fact and that of my apparently being even more junior than Charlie, I'm not sure I can offer any useful advice on top of what all the others wrote. I guess one of the key lessons I myself learned this summer is that if in doubt, stick to the frameworks outlined in school books, rather than trying to come up with something entirely innovative or unusual which might take a lot of time to explain to your class in the first place. Of course, you can, to some degree, well modify a task from the book, which I myself did once I had got a feeling of how much variation may be sensible. You could also build a lesson around something you yourself found interesting, such as a newspaper article - provided such materials can be made to fit into a sensible lesson structure. I admit this was where I had made a mistake initially which I had been very embarrassed about.

Though as I mentioned, I cannot say for sure just how similar German and British teacher training curricula are, and to which degree the school systems as a whole are comparable, so to speak.

In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Charlie to sort out these troubles she has been having.

I stayed out of this one, not being in the trade, other than having been on the receiving end..

Most of the educational process has left a very positive impression; but one lesson's content stands out above all others. Midway through our O level course, a master destroyed one of those great heavy (doubtless expensive) blue bound Oxbridge tomes by breaking its spine across his knee and then ripping it in half; a book that had been the 'authority' in a particular subject area. In short the theory underlying this 'authority' was now disproved, and the whole thing thereby rendered valueless, since the examination curriculum had been revised to wholly recognise the succeeding theory. Never forget we were told, as the two halves crashed into the wpb; scientific knowledge is always contingent, better data and theory may emerge and completely supplant yesterday's received wisdom.

Unforgettable highly effective communication of a key piece of knowledge, which has served me very well over the ensuing years. Cannot imagine what lesson plan would encompass this, or what an OFSTED inspector would make of it...

• RMweb Gold

Visual learning style, maybe!

... if he only allowed the students to participate in the 'breaking of the tome', then the kinaesthetic box would have been ticked too :jester:

Reason for edit: small spelling mistake oops - would have been unforgivable in this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I thought we were getting somewhere with it all. Charlie had a "brilliant" lesson, according to her mentor, on the Tuesday, and an "okay one" on the Thursday. Today she's had an email from the university tutor to say if she doesn't perform this week, she's off the course.

Hell of a way to encourage young teachers to progress. :angry:

I'm so angry it's unreal. She's been working the whole weekend on a lesson plan (with much thanks to everyone here for their input), and to get it at 3.00pm on a Sunday afternoon the day before she's due to teach again is outrageous.

Is it so bad in the private sector, teacher training? I'm struggling to ascertain how they can be so positive and encouraging one moment and then rip the heart out of her work the next in the public sector. It's not bloody fair.

Your girlfriends mentor at school, and the Head of Department, need to have "words" with her tutor at the training establishment.

There appears to be a breakdown of communication here which is not at all fair, either towards your girlfriend or the school she's currently placed at.

Obviously we only have one side here, but I can't see how, from what I've read above, how she can be thrown off the course with so little feedback/support from the university.

Best wishes and tell her not to give up.

Regards,

Peter

You see Peter, I keep coming back to that. It really is one says one thing, the other seems to be the complete other. The only other explanation (which doesn't bear thinking about) is that one or the other really has it in for her. She's just fired off a very calm email, and simply said "I'm getting on with my plan" and is ignoring it - probably the best thing right now.

It almost feels because of the timing, he's trying to get her to fail. This may be unfair, but why 3.00pm on a Sunday? Why?

Feels almost like constructive dismissal.

Guest dilbert

Obviously we only have one side here, but I can't see how, from what I've read above, how she can be thrown off the course with so little feedback/support from the university.

Additionally to WS' comments, even in the public/private sector workplace, there is a process that has to be adhered to unless there has been a very serious breach to warrant being thrown out of a job.

Obviously, this type of situation gets emotive - need to place those emotions to one side and try to obtain an objective view of the situation - this is where your gf's mentor will play his/her true role ; to honestly advise on how to deal with the situation (if this hasn't been fully explored) and define on how to move forwards. It is certainly worth exploring other avenues such as the student's union etc...

There are good bank managers and bad ones - you'll find both types in a bank..., it doesnt mean that there are good banks and bad ones... dilbert

I would agree with what Peter has advised. From the school mentor's perspective, it is also a criticism of them as it is questioning their competence and judgement. As such it is in their interests to address this issue. I don't know if it may be possible to covertly ascertain whether this particular University Tutor has a 'history' of this sort of thing. The 'nuclear option', should it ultimately come to it, may well be to request a different Tutor.

• RMweb Premium

This does sound most strange, Simon, and I can well imagine how this is weighing you both down. I can't say I have come across such types like this tutor of Charlie's very frequently - in fact, I can recall only one person who was both a superior and equally mean-spirited as he appears to be, from what you have been telling us over the past few weeks. As it is, I agree it may have been the best choice for her to have signalled him that she won't be intimidated and will carry through with what she has prepared thus far.

In any case, I continue to keep my fingers crossed for her :) .

Christmas is a magical time in a school, and your girlfriend's experiences shouldn't be put off by a possibly "rogue" tutor.

Carol concerts, musicals, angels falling off the stage, the wheel coming off Joseph's techicoloured chariot as it hit the hall doorway. Things she'll remember forever.

Onwards and upwards!

Peter

Christmas is a magical time in a school, and your girlfriend's experiences shouldn't be put off by a possibly "rogue" tutor.

Carol concerts, musicals, angels falling off the stage, the wheel coming off Joseph's techicoloured chariot as it hit the hall doorway. Things she'll remember forever.

Onwards and upwards!

Peter

.......Early Years pupils asking "What's a Virgin?" :no:

• RMweb Gold

.......Early Years pupils asking "What's a Virgin?" :no:

... not sure but is it owned by Richard Branson :scratchhead:

In all seriousness there seems to be hitch in the communication system... I would suggest a meeting with the Tutor is required... time to face the demons .... because you really need to know precisely what the problem is???

I wish you both well and good luck for this week.

Archived