The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Help - Teacher Training

S.A.C Martin

Just want to say, thanks chaps for your prompt replies and well reasoned advice. She's working really hard at the minute for tomorrow's lesson, but we'll explore the avenues later this evening to see what has to be done.

I can well understand the "weeding out the weaker teachers" and of course it needs to be done, but she is in her first four months of training and has taken very few lessons hands on. I simply can't understand the seemingly strong desire to undo all the good work she is doing.

I hadn't realised she was so early into the course. Four months in is far too early to be even considering failing a student. The whole process is a learning curve and each student will have a different starting point. To some it may come naturally, to others there may be a longer period before they begin to 'get up to speed' through gaining in confidence or have the opportunity to put advice into practice.

I've stayed out of this one too, because it is very difficult to say much constructively from a distance, but I hope she joined one of the teaching trade unions as a student member.......

If she has another " you are off the course" threat, it would be worth contacting them locally for their advice and "take" on the situation.....the simple knowledge she is in contact with a union officer may make the tutor think harder about their advice. Indeed, the tutor in question may be "known" to te unions!

The unions are there for more than demonstrating against Government cuts!!

• RMweb Gold

I do hope everything goes well tomorrow. I agree with all the suggestions especially if difficulty continues definitely get the school to intervene. I'm not sure one tutor can put a student "off the course". It would appear that for some reason communication from the tutor seems rather odd. I know my son who is year 2 of a degree has to put up with a lot of inappropriate comments of a political nature from one of his lecturers. I've seen the comments she wrote on his fieldwork report so I know he isn't imagining it.

Best wishes

Tony

I believe student membership is gratis... well it was when I was training. It's not something I look out for but even if it's not fre I think it might be great value for money if they can help with the situation.

It is free whilst you are training. I remember joining the three main ones for free initially. I would guess that your girlfriend is probably a member and could seek advice.

However, it is outrageous to think that inside 4 months she should need to do so. Support should be offered by the university at this stage.

I believe student membership is gratis... well it was when I was training. It's not something I look out for but even if it's not fre I think it might be great value for money if they can help with the situation.

Quite correct, membership it is gratis, and you can be a member of them all too!

BUT, you need to have joined before the problem occured, however a sympathetic local officer would, I'm sure, give advice.

• RMweb Premium

Also remember that she will be a member of the Student's Union at the University and they will be able to provide advice - most have full time paid officials to do just that and they may be aware of past history with this particular lecturer. The University will also have an appeals and complaints process which should be freely available on their web site - suggest that you have a look there and see if this sort of thing is covered. I can't believe that she could be removed from the course just by one person as these sort of programmes are usually 'team taught' with more than just one person involved - there should also be some sort of 'assessment board' or 'exam board' chaired by a senior independant academic where all the tutors have a chance to speak and even then it's rare to instantly dismiss someone - in the case of failure there is usually the opportunity to resit an exam or resubmit an assignment.

Mike

Final followup of the year...

...she's ON the course, and OFF probation, after pulling out of the bag what her mentor called "the best lesson I have seen from a student your age in ten years".

Tutor has agreed to meet and discuss our concerns, including perhaps a change to someone else - but I am so very, very proud of her for what she has acheived in such a short length of time.

I just want to thank everyone here, for their PMs, posts, and emails - because without you, we couldn't have turned it around. You have all made our Christmas, and Charlie is so very, very happy right now.

In short, Merry Christmas gents, and thank you so much.

That is excellent news! I did not try to give advice because others said all I could say, and better. I really hope that Charlie goes on to enjoy the rest of her course as much as I did way back when, and enjoys a happy and successful career. Happy Christmas!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Really pleased for you both and thanks to everyone else who has shared their concerns and given advice - I did wonder what was going on as mine was the last post a week ago and it went very quiet after that - a great outcome and just in time for Christmas :sungum:

Mike

I am really glad that you have a successful outcome. I refrained from giving any advice because the system here in Australia is a little different (come to that, it is different in each state!) and anything I said may have turned out to be bad advice.

When I was doing my teacher training my cohort had a minor revolt against one tutor. Thankfully that was resolved by taking it to a higher authority within the university.

• RMweb Premium

Great news, Simon, thanks for letting us know! :good_mini: I'm sure this will make Christmas so much more pleasant for both of you. Of course, I continue to wish her all the best for the remainder of her course, and that she'll also be able to resolve the matter with her tutor to her satisfaction.

Excellent outcome to a horrid situation! Please tell your partner that, once she has a post in a school, it will be very different from her experience of school practice. And, having impressed her mentor with her demonstration of excellent teaching skills, perhaps she should consider asking that person for a reference when applynig for her first post.

Good luck from someone who is now enjoying the "benefits" (topical!) of retirement after nearly 40 years in teaching.

Archived