"Well I never!"........ :toclue:

Having been born in Port Sunlight (Wirral); the history of the local Storeton Quarry Tramways has always been near to my heart, especially-so, as I used to walk up to prep-school in Bebington (in the early 60`s) along the lower portion of it`s former-route under/near the LNWR & GW joint lines.

I was led to believe that the SQT was only ever a gravity and horse-drawn operation (rolling down-hill loaded and horse-hauled empties back up)...and all the books on the subject seemed to agree on that.....but I`m reading "A Portrait of Wirral`s Railways" (Roger Jermy) I have been amazed to see pictures of a steam locomotive in use at Storeton: a K class Manning Wardle tank named "Gosport", which was owned by the contractors Price & Reeves and used in the early 1900`s for hauling sandstone down to the Joint Line`s transhipment siding (near to Spital station), for the works associated with the quadrupling of the Rock Ferry to Ledsham Junction line.

This was the old wisdom about the SQT: http://www.oldwirral...ton_quarry.html

I thought I`d ask: what suprises have you had when reading about railways that you 'thought' you knew all-about? :read:

• RMweb Gold

I used to play in the tunnel under the main (Mount) road, the tramway route through the woods was still visible, mostly, if a little more populated with trees - and of course the "sleepers", stone blocks, in the wall opposite the Travellers Rest are still a reminder.

Archived