Locomotives for export: period paint colour?

Debs.

Although I now model in 0 gauge.....rather than chuck it away, I`m assembling a 4mm. scale model of a K`s Taff Vale 0-4-0 tank (which I`ve had since the 1970`s).....which will be mounted (chained down) onto a 7mm. scale Lowmac, to use on a dock side layout: which is to be imagined as a miniature loco being exported.

I`m a bit stuck on what colour to paint the 'tiddler' loco.......it`s got me thinking: which colour were new steam locomotives when exported, where they sent-off in primer, or finish painted?

I have found some old images of large, Vulcan-foundry steam loco`s being loaded at Birkenhead docks, the paint on them seems very pale, but the pictures were B & W so it could`ve been grey primer or a light colour top-coat

Paint colour/type suggestions welcomed. :good:

• RMweb Gold

Hello Debs,

Any colour you like, actually.... The loco purchaser normally specified the colour/livery, and it was part of the contract that the loco was delivered in that colour. The Andrew Barclay Archive lists all of the original colour schemes, and I don't suppose the other makers were any different.

BTW. What a waste of a Taff Vale locomotive......

Kind regards,

Ian

Hello Debs,

Any colour you like, actually.... The loco purchaser normally specified the colour/livery, and it was part of the contract that the loco was delivered in that colour. The Andrew Barclay Archive lists all of the original colour schemes, and I don't suppose the other makers were any different.

BTW. What a waste of a Taff Vale locomotive......

Kind regards,

Ian

Thanks for the info,, Ian......I think that I shall 'finish-paint' it then.

.....and by the way the S Class Hudswell Clarke kit isn`t being wasted, I`m very much enjoying it`s construction and further detailing.

Best wishes,

Debs.

Archived