LMR (Midland Lines) - Sleeping Cars

TheLaird

I am interested in replicating the sleeper services out of St Pancras in the 55 to 62 period. Obviously because they ran at night, photo's seem quite rare. Does anyone have any details of the formation and carriage types used on these services? I believe there were three trains, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Leeds. I am hoping that MK1's were not used.

Beware - sleeping car services over the Midland main line are complicated. I suggest you try and get hold of a copy of the book Passenger Train Formations 1923-1983 - LMS LM Region by Clive S. Carter Published by Ian Allan in 1987. That has most of the information you need for your period.

From the summer 1960 Western Lines Passenger Train Marshalling book

21:00 St Pancras to Edinburgh Waverley basic working:

BG, 3SK, 2CK, SLF, SLSTP, BG - all denoted as Mk1.

There were other vans added and detached along the route.

21:15 St Pancras to Glasgow St Enoch basic working:

BG, BSK, 3SK, CK, SLSTP, 2SLF, BG - all denoted as Mk1.

There were also other vans added/detached.

Mark

Thats brilliant Mark, thanks. What I am specifically interested in is the situation at Leeds where they reversed. Do you have the details at this stage of the journey and the return workings that all passed through in the early hours. Also the Leeds train that I believe left St Pancras at 12.05 am??

John E.

Unfortunately the PTM only covers Western Lines so does not cover Leeds or say where reversals took place. However these are the full listings:

21:00 StP-Ed

X Fish - SX Hull-Whitehaven

BG – SX Leeds-Kilmarnock

BG – SX Luton-Glasgow StE

BG – SX Perth

BG

3SK

2CK

SLF

SLSTP

BG

Doesn’t say where the X Fish was attached. First 4 vehicles detached at Carlisle

21:15 StP-GStE

BG – SX Leeds-Glasgow StE

BG

2SLF

SLSTP

CK

3SK

BSK

BG

BG – SX Kilmarnock (detached Carlisle)

22:05SX / 21:55SO Ed-StP

X Fish – SX Aberdeen-Leeds

X Fish – SO Aberdeen-Nottigham

BG

SLSTP

SLF

2CK

3SK

SK – MFSO

BG

X Fish – SX Aberdeen-Nottingham

21:05 GStE-StP

BG – SO

SK – SX

BSK

3SK

CK

SLSTP

2SLF

BG

BG – Kilmarnock-StPancras

The 00:05 St Pancras to Leeds does not appear in this PTM. The nearest I know is in a 1965 ER book. The formation is:

2SK

CK

BSK

SLF

SLSTP

BG

The sleepers and BG are detached at Leeds and the seating coaches work forward to Bradford at 07:00. The return working is 21:30 Bradford-StP which is a 13 coach formation with 9BG to various destinations. The sleepers and BG return on the Glasgow train. Not sure if that was the arrangement in 1960.

Many thanks again Mark, just the information I need. Presumably the Leeds is all MK1 as well?

Just to give some background to my request, my next project is a model based on Leeds Wellington c 55 to 65ish. Ultimately, my final project will be based on St Pancras. I intend to run at least two, possibly more time periods but first will be 62ish, then backdated to 55ish. I am tempted to go further back also to a pre nationalisation period. Hence the interest in the types of coaching stock used at different times. I would like to run some ex LMS 12 wheelers but do not know when these ceased to run on the ex Midland Lines. Hopefully someone can tell me!!

Regards John E

John, I am embarrassed to say that after re-checking the PTM I have made an error. The St Pancras - Glasgow St Enoch sleeper is indeed listed with 3 non-standard sleepers. The outer SLF & SLSTP are marked as having gangway adaptors to connect with standard stock. My apologies for misleading you.

There is nothing to indicate other than Mk1 in the Leeds train. Obviously by 1965 there would be many more Mk1s in service. The fact that they were present in 1960 in the Glasgow train gives you a bit more licence though.

Mark

Some of the 12 wheelers survived into the blue and grey period quite simply due to the fact that a number of Mk1s got written off in accidents.

I cannot remember seeing any on the ex Midland/GSWR/NB route sleepers by the mid 1960s but they were still evident on the Inverness-Euston.

Will keep looking.

I used the Midland sleeper occasionally in 1973-76 - by then cut back to Glasgow to Nottingham. I've never paid much attention to coaching stock ( :blush:), but I do know I travelled in an ex-LMS sleeper on one occasion. Whether it was a 12-wheeler or not, I don't know. I do remember the toilet compartment was huge - I couldn't see why it had to be the size it was. And there was space for storing luggage over the corridor, accessed from inside the sleeper compartment - something I never saw in any other sleepers.

Sounds to me like one of the third class 8 wheel sleeping cars built after nationalisation to LMS design diagram D2169 - these had eleven two berth compartments. These lasted until 1975-6.

I said 'LMS' because I remember fittings being marked 'LMS'. But I guess it could have been built post-Nationalisation, using LMS fittings.

I'll have to take a look at the CWN exerpts I have downstairs, but I know I've built a pair of 12w sleepers for somewhere in the same timeframe (55-65) for further north. (S&C). The Bachmann Mk 1's are awaited, but I went down the Comet route because of the delay of the SLEP's showing up. (and after waiting 3+ years for the RMB...I'm expecting them...sooner or later...).

I think that the 12w sleepers served quite late, based on the survival of several of them in preserved hands, as per photos on the interweb. Remember the CWN's reflect the ideal railway, not of necessity what happened in the real world.

James

Yes - beware of the official version. On one occasion we were travelling back to Perth (1970s) on the overnight Euston to Perth sleeper when one of the twelve wheelers - the first class one, ran a hot box. It had to be shunted at Beattock and the poor incumbents transferred elsewhere in the train. An added complication was that the gangway adaptor had been left on the faulty coach and through communication between the coach ahead - another LMS but 3rd class, and the Mk1 behind, was not possible so some had to do without their tea and biscuits that morning.

Such incidents would mean that the make-up of the train would have to be altered, and I understand that prior to withdrawal faults with the ex LMS cars were not uncommon on all routes.

No need to apologise Mark, that's good news! The PTM is obviously a good source of information, I have been looking out for one but they seem as rare as hens teeth.

John, you should consider joining Robert Carroll's (robertcwp on this site) BRCoachingStock Yahoo group.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/BRCoachingStock/

The 1960 Western Lines PTM is one of the ones available at the moment in the files section in pdf format. There is also a 1968 LMR one that covers the Midland lines and all 3 trains are remarkably similar to the listings above. Due to space limitations he rotates those available but you can put in requests. Unfortunately no Midland ones for the years you require though.

Mark

Many thanks again Mark, you have been a great help. I have joined the yahoo group as you suggested and look forward to discovering more information.

Thanks also to the other contributors, some fascinating details from those comments as well, please keep them coming.

Like James, I too am awaiting the new Bachmann models of the Mk1 sleepers and of course the porthole stock day coaches. I have invested in some Comet LMS sleepers, two built so far. I had to wait for these as I believe they are not kept in stock but only produced when sufficient orders have been received, so if anyone wants some get on the order list.

John E.

• 6 months later...

Archived