Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Woo ! Yay! 40,000 views. I know that it is nothing in the great run of things and compared to many other threads but after my last layout got about three comments and seven views (mainly because it wasn't very good ;) ), I'm pretty chuffed that this seems to have piqued people's interest.

Anyway, as way of celebration, here is what I am working on next. unfortunately, I am away for the weekend (leaving after work) so there will be no progress until last week, but it's yet another row of bloody houses. I was going to knock together a mill frontage for this area but I couldn't find anything that looked right and fit into the small frontage I have available (mills were MASSIVE). So, whilst cruising the streets of Bacup and the surrounding area, courtesy of the Google Camera Car, I happened upon the below row of houses, built in quite large stone blocks at I presume the same time, but with some quite distinctive differences between them (apart from the first two). So, I have used these as inspiration but have built them on a slope and only used five of the houses in the row. This is also the first time I am having a go at sloped rooflines, which I chickened out of on all the other houses that climb up hills.

embankmenthouses_zpse8e8f93e.jpg

Embankment008_zpsafbd2eee.jpg

And yes, I missed a window out above the door on the bottom house, although this has now been cut out. The triple window in this house will have the centre stone sections fashioned from Plastikard as the mounting board will get a bit weak if cut that narrow. 

It's sort of low relief again, in that the back will not be viewable so I will save time by omitting it, although they will be built to full depth. As can (maybe) be seen, I have cut out the front, plain back, dividing and end walls, and another section down the centre to add rigidity. I next need to paint up a load of stone sheets in preparation for cladding.

• Like 5

Interesting Project.

The house second from right in your prototype photo doesn't look too safe though. can't make up my mind whether the front wall is bulging or whether it is sliding /subsiding downhill into its neighbour on the right.

Will you be looking to re-produce that particular feature?  Could be tricky to do without it looking just plain 'wrong'.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this, much to the detriment of my own modelling output I fear.   :no:  

• RMweb Premium

I think that is an effect introduced by the Google Camera Car (in fact yes, it is; just moved the angle in Google Earth and there is no distortion).

Out of interest, these will take the total number of houses (including those above shops and pubs) to 65.

Everyone to Bacup on Easter Saturday, then! I'll never forget Joe Healey giving our local bobby a right earbashing about this at our do last year. Thing is, GMP haven't started charging yet; it's a 'Lancashire' thing!

• RMweb Premium

Woo ! Yay! 40,000 views. I know that it is nothing in the great run of things and compared to many other threads but after my last layout got about three comments and seven views (mainly because it wasn't very good ;) ), I'm pretty chuffed that this seems to have piqued people's interest.

Anyway, as way of celebration, here is what I am working on next. unfortunately, I am away for the weekend (leaving after work) so there will be no progress until last week, but it's yet another row of bloody houses. I was going to knock together a mill frontage for this area but I couldn't find anything that looked right and fit into the small frontage I have available (mills were MASSIVE). So, whilst cruising the streets of Bacup and the surrounding area, courtesy of the Google Camera Car, I happened upon the below row of houses, built in quite large stone blocks at I presume the same time, but with some quite distinctive differences between them (apart from the first two). So, I have used these as inspiration but have built them on a slope and only used five of the houses in the row. This is also the first time I am having a go at sloped rooflines, which I chickened out of on all the other houses that climb up hills.

Embankment008_zpsafbd2eee.jpg

And yes, I missed a window out above the door on the bottom house, although this has now been cut out. The triple window in this house will have the centre stone sections fashioned from Plastikard as the mounting board will get a bit weak if cut that narrow. 

It's sort of low relief again, in that the back will not be viewable so I will save time by omitting it, although they will be built to full depth. As can (maybe) be seen, I have cut out the front, plain back, dividing and end walls, and another section down the centre to add rigidity. I next need to paint up a load of stone sheets in preparation for cladding.

Don't forget you can always have a window bricked / covered up by a clever Bodger or get the Double Glazing company in.

Your terrace is looking good.  It's a shame the RTR manufacturers don't follow suit and have the chimneys going down the back of the roof.  It looks so much more natural.  Just one of my gripes, I'm afraid but I guess saving space is saving space.

Hope you show us the next stage of your buildings.

Best wishes

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to progress with the new row of houses, adding in the lintels, sills and door & window surrounds. At first glance, the size of the stone blocks it is built out of looks massive but it's not actually that far off the real buildings (although it is too big). I have had to paint over the edge of sills, etc., in places to hide any white from their construction but when the weathering goes on, this will all be blended back in together. I always think that they look quite odd at this stage.

Embankment009_zps4c68366a.jpg

The real things again

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You're all going to be bored stupid of these shots before long but here is the progress update. Curtains added, doors scribed and added, window and door frames painted, first coat of paint on doors, letterboxes attached but unpainted.

Embankment012_zps70faadc0.jpg

A wider angle showing the whole back area of the layout (most of which was originally unintended)

Embankment013_zpsc273c736.jpg

Wider still. The 'backscene' is still temporary

Embankment014_zpsb7d31b16.jpg

• Like 11

<snip>   You're all going to be bored stupid of these shots before long but here is the progress update  </snip>

I find it inspiring Jason. Motivational even, to hie me thither into the garage and get on with mine.

Difficult being in two places at once though, so I'm either reading this and the Lunester shennanigans, or I'm gettin' on with stuff.

Keep it up, it's all good.

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason

I haven't looked here for a little while, and your wall with the bricked up archways really took me back to when I lived up there. It reminded me of the Todmorden Road where there's a stretch of low-ish wall made by infilling windows and doors before chopping the top off.

post-14192-0-77485200-1362618393_thumb.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/GupR5

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, here is today's update and it'll be the last one for a few days as I now need to cut out the dreaded slates again.

As you can see, the structure is now glued together, roof formers on (not actually as tricky cutting them to shape as I thought), doors now fully painted, alleyway added (although not full depth - didn't seem worth it as you can't see down it from normal viewing angles), etc.

Adding the roof did, however, bring up some questions and once again, Google Earth came to the rescue. These were around the alignment of slates on a roof where the gutter wasn't parallel to the horizon, should the slates run parallel to the gutter or be horizontal? As can be seen by the (rather odd) photo, the slates are parallel to the gutters. I found this out after drawing horizontal lines on the formers as guildes.

Next question was how to deal with the transition from sloping roof slates on the first four houses to the level on the last which, as can be seen, will be done using a wall section protruding above the slates. And yes, I know the stone courses aren't exactly horizontal but the lead flashing, etc., will cover most of this up anyway (and I still need to add capping stones).

Flash central, but it shows the alley off:

Embankment017_zpsa0c52c68.jpg

No flash, but the incorrectly drawn on guidelines are visible to all:

Embankment015_zps08eeac66.jpg

The alignment of the slates has been puzzling me for a while, and it took a lot of 'driving' around Bacup in the Googlemobile before I could actually get a decent view of a sloping roof and the slates. Yeah, I know it's not a Decent shot, but it shows me what I need to know and I can therefore rest easy in the knowledge that I can get them right.

slatealignment_zps7e0ac203.jpg

• Like 2