Unintelligible e-mail from Hattons

LSWR

Has anybody else this week been getting unintelligible e-mails from the ""General <notify@ehattons.com>" e-mail account? This account is putting out hexidecimal files instead of ASCII as the body of its e-mail messages. This results in unintelligible messages with lots of equals (=) signs and ASCII representations of hexidecimal numbers. I have received three e-mails this week from "General <notify@ehattons.com>". No other e-mail that I have received from anybody has this problem. The "Contact Us" form on Hatton's website doesn't work tonight.

My last email form them (the "general" address) two days ago was perfectly readable.

Maybe some of those Christmas elves they hired were really gremlins!!! wink.gif

If possible, try changing the encoding settings on your email client to see if it can make something sensible out of ewhat you received.

p.s. My own emails are set to be read as plain text only - I do this to make it safer as no malicious code can hide in plain text.

• RMweb Gold

Same here. General Hatton has written to me a couple of times this week without any problem. He has also just charged me only ??3 to send a loco - very good value for a parcel from UK to France! While I see their prices drifting up a little closer to the general market, they do seem to have the stocks and the service tied up well.

(Apologies: not strictly on topic, but . . . . )

Speaking of Hattons prices, I'm bemused by the Dapol items that have appeared in the last few days. Wagons at ??14 and ??15 with a note mentioning Airfix or Mainline. Who's going to spend that on old and not particularly rare wagons, when Hattons themselves are selling ones with the new mouldings for ??7.50? That situation transcends oddities like two very similar 16T steel opens, with one at ??6 and one at ??7, or the ??32 for a Stanier carriage, when a Pendolino carriage is ??26. I know that no-one has to buy, but I have used Hattons a lot and intend to continue, and I would hate to think that they did themselves down by having stupid prices. If they get stuck with stock, it will affect other items in the long run.

(Apologies: not strictly on topic, but . . . . )

Speaking of Hattons prices. That situation transcends oddities like two very similar 16T steel opens, with one at ??6 and one at ??7

There is a very good reason for this difference. In fact it probsbly ought to be much greater. The dearer one has top doors the cheaper one is sans doors. The top door type is the most common type in the real world and the model version has always been in short supply. Hence the reasoning that they can charge a premium and still shift them.

Bernard

Archived