LIMA BR Parcels Van (GUV?) Question

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I picked up a LIMA Parcels Van (I think?) in BR Maroon at an exhibition last weekend. The box has the code number 305657A1 on it; the Van has running number W86470. Here's a similar example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-00-GAUGE-305657W-BR-PARCELS-COACH-CAR-CARRIAGE-VAN-MAROON-LIVERY-BOXED-/330649196166?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4cfc3a5686

Can anyone confirm the correct description for this van please, and which region it was used on - does the "W" prefix on the running number suggest Western Region? (hopefully not, as I'm more late 50's/early 60's LMS/LNER regions...but the price was good and condition unmarked...). If it does turn out to be western region can I simply renumber it to change region allocation perhaps?

Many thanks.

Brian

Guest stuartp

It's a BR-built GUV - General Utility Van - used on all regions. The 'W' does indeed indicate a WR vehicle but I doubt very much they all stayed on the WR, unless branded for a specific working parcels vans tended to wander a bit (ok, a lot).

• RMweb Premium

Aren't they ex-LMS vehicles? There are some useful notes on them on Page 4 of the "Coaches for Culreoch" thread in the Kitbuilding and Scratchbulding section of this forum (sorry, don't know how to do a link to it)

DT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-L305358W-LMS-GUV-BOGIE-PARCEL-VAN-MAROON-VGC-MODERN-COUPLINGS-/290638562422?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43ab688476#ht_551wt_1344

This link is one of the Ex-LMS GUV's these are the shorter 42ft version.

The coach in the original post is the 57ft General version.

Hope this helps.

I think the number traces to Lot 30417 built by Pressed Steel in about 1959.

It is a GUV or General Utility Van intended as a standard low maintenance bogied addition to the parcels fleet, first appearing in the late 1950s and utilising the standard 57 foot carriage underframe. Used for cars (hence the end doors), newspapers, post and the like. You can have quite a bit of fun with these depending on what you want to do, adding brake/heating pipes, adding through wiring for ETS, adding air brakes, converting for BRUTE trollies (dead easy).

And you are lucky, you have one of the posh Lima models where they actually put the dynamo on the correct way round.

I think technically you need to remove the raised rim around the windows if you want it dead accurate, but then you have the aggro of a repaint, lining and transfers. The same goes for the four wheel Lima MK1 CCT. As mentioned in this thread already, Bachmann BR1 bogies are fairly easy to fit, and they transform the appearance of the model. I've found the best way of fitting them is to drill the pivot hole with a 4.2mm drill and them use an M5 Tap to thread the pivot hole. The Bachmann bogies all have 5mm holes in the centre so you can use an M5 screw to secure them. You may meed some spacers to set the correct ride height.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the excellent replies, and especially the advice regarding detailing & improvements etc. - much appreciated.

Brian

One of several Lima GUV's I converted before Bachmann bought out their excellent GUV.

The Lima GUV has been fitted with Mainline BR1 bogies with Hornby 14.1mm wheel sets.

The couplings have been changes from the standard Mainline type to the Bachmann Short Mini coupling type.

Flush glazing by SE Finecast, with lots of fileing and test fitting to make the flush glazing fit properly.

The window bar effect was achived by carefully removing the original windows from the roof in one peice and gluing into place.

The roof is just simply glued back on again.

gallery_4912_227_97130.jpg

Archived