Unknown Location Help

d600

I think that it is a Great Central (Branch) line, possibly in the Buckinghamshire / North East Oxfordshire / Hertfordshire area.

If you enlarge the postcard, you can see where the company name is written on the side tanks, the stock looks to be wooden bodied - possibly teak, and the general architecture looks to be home counties.

I know that where ever it is, that scene will now be gone for ever! :(

Edit - The wall running along the left of the road might be part of an Estate or Manor House.

Hi ive enlarged the postcard but still cant make out the writing on the tank side,the coach behind the loco has windows at the front so possably a push pull set loco wheel arrangment could be 4-6-2 4 small wheels at the front can then make out 2 larger wheels.I agree catkins bet there isnt a trace of this scene left now.Maybe the loco could be a GCR 9k CLASS looks similar.

cheers

Location is Lambeg Village, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland. Roughly a mile from where I live.

The loco crossing the bridge is a GNRI 4-4-2T (tank) and appears to be hauling a failed AEC 600 series railcar set (Dmu) towards Belfast.

The wall on the left, belonged to the Lambeg Industrial Research Association (L.I.R.A.) now closed and the grounds sold to a housing developer.

The house on the right displying the "PRATTS" name would have been a small petrol station. It is still there, but privatly owned and no longer a petrol station.

Lambeg Railway station is to the right of the locomotive, but out of view.

If interested, I will try to make a photo of the same location as it is today so as you can compare them.

K9-70

Location is Lambeg Village, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland. Roughly a mile from where I live.

The loco crossing the bridge is a GNRI 4-4-2T (tank) and appears to be hauling a failed AEC 600 series railcar set (Dmu) towards Belfast.

The wall on the left, belonged to the Lambeg Industrial Research Association (L.I.R.A.) now closed and the grounds sold to a housing developer.

The house on the right displying the "PRATTS" name would have been a small petrol station. It is still there, but privatly owned and no longer a petrol station.

Lambeg Railway station is to the right of the locomotive, but out of view.

If interested, I will try to make a photo of the same location as it is today so as you can compare them.

K9-70

Wow pat on the back well done i thought it was in the buckingham area lol if you could take a present day photo that would be great.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

cheers

Thanks guys, glad to help.

Was down this way tonight coming home from work, and what changes there is to see.

Gone is the wall on the lefthand side of the photo, the area is now full of modern houses.

The old house/shop, garage on the righthand side has also gone, again replaced with modern houses.

I checked my book "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages" and the coach behind the locomotive appears to be a 3rd Class K9 type with a 51ft long body, built in 1906 and probably withdrawn around the late 50's.

So the locomotive crossing the bridge is not hauling a failed railcar set, as I thought, but is a Push Pull working, probably working between Lisburn and Belfast GVS.

The date of the photo ? probably around the 1920's.

• RMweb Gold

Was down this way tonight coming home from work, and what changes there is to see.

Gone is the wall on the lefthand side of the photo, the area is now full of modern houses.

The old house/shop, garage on the righthand side has also gone, again replaced with modern houses.

Follow my link ... ^_^

I checked my book "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages" and the coach behind the locomotive appears to be a 3rd Class K9 type with a 51ft long body, built in 1906 and probably withdrawn around the late 50's.

So the locomotive crossing the bridge is not hauling a failed railcar set, as I thought, but is a Push Pull working, probably working between Lisburn and Belfast GVS.

The date of the photo ? probably around the 1920's.

Hi thanxs for the info its amazing the railway,bridge and road are all still there,the photo paper backing is from 1928 so again you are spot on with the time scale :boast:

cheers

• 3 years later...

Archived