A layout idea - Filton North

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

First of all, this is not a layout I will be building. I have more than enough to be getting on with on Cheddar.

But this idea just wont leave my head as I think it would make a very interesting modern layout in a small space.

Up until the mid 80s there was a small station on the edge of the BAe airfield in Filton, now my concept sees this station being reopened to serve the current Airbus/GKN site (much like the station opened at Filton Abbeywood to serve the MOD's office complex).

Scenicly I think it really offers something pretty unique, you get a combination of the modern office block, the A400M wing factory, the old Brabrazon hanger and the portakabin based tech centre (very clear images of all of which can be seen in quite high detail on google earth / bing maps

it also offers a single secinic feature that I suspect has probably never been modelled before, a level crossing for aircraft!

The site has a bridge at each end as well, (though a lot of selective compression would be needed given the length)

Set in the past few years, I think it would make a very convincing 'might have been', wessex trains/FGW 150/143/158 with Freightliner and EWS coal trains (that being the only freight I've seen while at work.) Could even take it further and do a set of intermodals replacing the Airbus lorries between Filton and Broughton....

As I say, its been bugging me as a layout idea on my drive home from work for a few weeks now, but given that modern modelling just doesnt cut it to me any more its of no use to me as a concept. Just thought I'd chuck it out there and see if it inspires someone else.....

When Filton Abbey Wood was being remodelled (about 2003?) there was a blockade

for about 2 weeks, and a revised service ran with voyagers/158s etc running via Clifton Down,

Henbury/Patchway chord. I was working at Newport at the time and 'enjoyed' the diversion.

cheers

Archived