Any freight trains to freight yard near kings cross terminus

class37418stag

Hello everyone and merry Xmas

Anyone know or seen freight yard near kings cross terminus so any freight trains running mainline to junction for freight yards in 1980 - 1989 because only passenger express train arrive terminus and freight train has exit of mainline to yard and split some freight to small siding in London?

Thank you

Hi Andrew

In the mid-late 80s there were still the following services into Kings Cross freight yard

Cement from Tring on the WCML

Sand from Fen Drayton in Cambridgeshire. This used HTVs then PBA wagons and was often hauled by class 31s

Gravel (dredged from the sea) from Cliffe in Kent

There was also a freightliner depot that closed around 1986 I think, only had a return service to Edinburgh when it closed

Hope this helps

Phil

• RMweb Premium

And all gone now of course under the redevelopment of the "railway lands".

Mid 80's I'd say Phil is correct; I can't think of anything else still running by then. Rewind 10 years earlier and the place was rather busier.

And all gone now of course under the redevelopment of the "railway lands".

Sort of...

There's still a cement terminal and aggregates terminal on the same site which are regularly rail served - but with assorted leads to/from St Pancras International/HS1 criss-crossing the site of Kings Cross Goods the rail element of the terminal is now located either side of the MML (the cement unloads on the West side of the MML, the aggregates on the East of it) rather than connected to the ECML.

Have had a look through my old diagrams from my years at The Cross and have come up with the following trains into and out of KXFT around 1979/80/81. These are only the ones KX men worked, others like the Cement and Sand trains where worked by other depots. Some may have stopped or started running during the period of my notes. Unless otherwise noted class 31 was the booked traction.

arr, 0040. 4E68 from Willesden Freightliner Terminal.

arr, 0220. 3A01 from Kings Cross.

arr, 0424. 4E60 from ??? (relieved Doncaster men at Peterborough).

arr, 0601. 4E97 from Willlesden High Level. (possibly Fletliner from Bedford. Willesden High Level may mean Willesden Brent as I remember working the Fletliner from there).

arr, 0615MO. 4E98 from Willesden Freightliner Terminal.

dep, 1145. 5S35 to Kings Cross.

arr, 1230, dep, 1354. 5B99 From and to Bounds Green. Transfer of parcels stuff for or off repair.

dep, 1825, 4C66 to Temple Mills. (booked class 47 as forward working was from Stratford FLT).

dep, 1835, 4M61 to Willesden Freightliner Terminal.

dep, 20xx, 3S15 destination not noted.

arr, 2100, 5B20 from Peterborough West Yard. (booked class 47).

dep, 2110, 8C64 to Temple Mills.

dep, 2320, 5B90 to Ferm Park.

arr, 0015, 9B87 from Temple Mills. (return working off 8C64).

Also booked to pass KXFT around 2200 on the incline from Camden Road, (all the workings to/from Willesden where booked that way) was 6E53 from Willesden Brent. KX men worked it to Finsbury Park where relieved by Peterborough men. This could have been the Kellogs calling at Marshmore.

The class 5 workings in & out of KXFT where the parcels/motorail stock that couldn't be accomodated in the station or Bounds Green and held untill required.

Hope they are of help and interest.

Paul J.

Archived