Toronto CLRV streetcar - possible mechanisms?

Burkitt

Last night I was on the net looking at some photos and drawings of Toronto streetcars, and then suddenly I seemed to have spent a few hours in Blender and got partway through modelling one.

blender%2520view%252001.jpg

With a view to the possibility of getting it printed via Shapeways, I've been having a look at potential mechanisms. The trucks have a wheelbase of 1829mm, with 660mm diameter wheels, which in HO scales to 21mm and 7.6mm. That's several millimetres smaller than the smallest Black Beetle or SPUD, which would need larger bodyside cutaways to avoid restricting their freedom to rotate. Can anyone recommend any suitable alternative mechanisms?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul, my recomendation would be to use Halling parts, their bogies are (off the top of my head), 21mm wheelbase with 8mm wheels, Have a look on the Halling website A 'C' mech might work, might not depends on bogie centres.

Failing that, something along the lines I use in my bogie mechs, Halling motor and trucks with silicone tubing drives, my bogie cars will do 4 inch radius curves at a crawl, using the Halling trucks gives you 8 wheel drive and pickup, which is vastly superior to any other tram mechs available (available rather than built!)

post-7067-0-24444300-1322685597_thumb.jpg

This is my Middleton bogie drive unit, gives you an idea. If you decide to go down this route I can measure the pivot points for the truck mounting (it clips into place, with two holding lugs on the truck) you could then design your floor around these parts, which would work nicely.

Halling parts are available, you just need to know how, oh German is helpful but not always!

Just to be accurate don't forget that the TTC runs on 4' 10 7/8" gauge track :diablo_mini: I've seen a model in O scale that may have been an import from a company that worked out of Russia. A worthwhile project!

Cheers,

David

....using the Halling trucks gives you 8 wheel drive and pickup, which is vastly superior to any other tram mechs available (available rather than built!)

Not quite true. The Bowser drives and my own selections all feature all-wheel drive and all-wheel power collection. See: http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/default.htm

Not quite true. The Bowser drives and my own selections all feature all-wheel drive and all-wheel power collection. See: http://www.hollywood...com/default.htm

Granted, and my appologies, I, in all honesty meant readily available in the UK mechanisms,(I think you know what I was referring too),forgot about your stuff, which would be another good option.

Thanks Xerxes, Red Devil and Geoff for your suggestions. It looks like either a Halling or Hollywood Foundry mechanism would be the best options.

David, I think the TTC gauge scale to 17mm in HO - I don't think it's sufficiently discernible that anyone modelling it wouldn't use standard 16.5mm track.

The Russian model was probably from St Petersburg Model Trams, who make beautiful, very expensive models of trams, buses and trolleybuses from all over the world. They did the CLRV and ALRV, though both are now long sold out.

Paul

A few more views of the CAD showing progress from this evening.

blender%2520view%252004.jpg

blender%2520view%252002.jpg

blender%2520view%252003.jpg

The other side is basically just a mirror of the existing one, but with windows where the doors are.

I've had a serious request for a OO version of the 95 tube stock, so there won't be much more progress on the streetcar for a bit.

Paul

A few more views of the CAD showing progress from this evening.

blender%2520view%252004.jpg

blender%2520view%252002.jpg

blender%2520view%252003.jpg

The other side is basically just a mirror of the existing one, but with windows where the doors are.

I've had a serious request for a OO version of the 95 tube stock, so there won't be much more progress on the streetcar for a bit.

Paul

Are these Kinki Sharyo trams as they look very similar to the Boston Green Line articulated LRV's?

XF

Paul and Co.,

For what it's worth, Canadian model maker Eric Courtney (http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/) manufactures both HO (http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00388.htm) and N scale (http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00380.htm) versions of the CLRV.

While I am mostly a collector of HO/OO trams, I have begun a small N scale project and ordered one of Eric's N scale CLRVs two weeks ago. Eric tells me that body shell is designed to accept the mechanism from Bachmann's N scale PCCs. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Meanwhile, back in HO scale, http://www.customtraxx.com/ offer both a decal set for the HO version (see their CN-4100 set under heading I-Traction Vehicle Lettering Sets) as well as a complete kit containing: a one piece (Miniatures by Eric) body shell, roof details, side window dividers, front and rear windshields, trolley catcher, four Bowser 1341 sideframe mounts, a complete set of CN-4100 decals and the Bowser 125163 pewter floor. The kit is supplied with the upgraded Bowser 125100 mechanism with blackened nickel silver wheels. One Miniatures by Eric trolley pole along with one SCTC-1 trolley pole base bushing is included.

I've been meaning to buy one of these, and my experience with the N scale version -- minus the bells and whistles -- is intended as a trial run for the larger, more expensive kit.

As you are designing your own body shell these products may not be a perfect fit. That said, the Bowser mechanism has a reputation for reliability and quality, and I imagine it would serve you well.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

Hi Roger,

Yeah, I'd noticed the Miniatures by Eric model, but looking at the website I hadn't thought it was current. Since you've bought one recently it clearly is though.

I'm not sure the CLRV will be particularly viable to print now, since as a fairly large model it will probably be quite a bit more expensive than Eric's resin body. This project was as much about practising designing rolling stock in Blender as getting the finished model though, so I'll keep on with it.

Also, it occurs to me that with a bit of copying and pasting the CLRV design could be modified into the ALRV, which is almost identical in design except for the articulation.

Paul

Archived