4mm scale, Track 3ft6" (14mm) construction tips?

DonB

For a 4mm scale project I am considering (in the comfort of this armchair), I would need 14mm track gauge. (3ft6" prototype)

I don't think that there's a ready-to-plonk source, but at the least I would need a Track Gauge. Any thoughts on availability of Track Gauges and construction methods and bits available?

The 3mm society do a gauge for 14.2mm track, but the 3mm fine scale bits are too light for my project. I'm looking at code75 bullhead rail too!

Advice gratefully received.

How much track are you planning to make? If the plan is reasonably extensive, with the various tooling methods now available, getting a price for a moulded single chaired sleeper with spacers under the rail, (or a small panel of 3, 4, 5 sleepers if it is to be a very large affair) might be worthwhile? The likes of C&L or Marcway come to mind.

As has been mentioned above, the one 3'6" modeller I have talked to at length did his East African modelling on HO track using HO and OO running gear, with the bodies built at 1/64th, pretty convenient when most of the steam age kit was built in imperial units.

Most 3'6" gauge modellers use either S scale on 16.5mm gauge or HO scale on 12mm in this sort of size range.

Same applies in Oz for the 3'6" systems in W.A.,S.A. and Queensland, also the Kiwis too. A reasonable range of kits and accesories is available for both scales which may be of use to you, ( I'm thinking wheels, bogies etc.).

cheers, Peter C.

Only about 4 or 5 feet of track, no points, involved. I'm considering bits from C&L or similar and making my own sleepers with code75(?) B/H rail, hence the need for a Track Gauge.

Space precludes any thing bigger, the Challenge Diorama got me going again, and I have a larger version in mind. Finding drawings for my prototype is my next problem......

2mm and 3mm scales are just that bit too small for my ham-fisted modelling!

Edit.... Sorry, should have said... Thanks for replies!

For your purpose and with a litle care you should get away with using a cheap dial or digi caliper. Lay one rail first and dead straight using a foot rule or longer. Using the caliper set to 14mm then solder in place the other rail, establish a couple of datum points and then true the second rail straight using the rule. An alternative is to cut and file a couple of gauges from sheet brass.

If you have a lathe or access to one, dead easy, buy a couple of the "Spring Loaded" 00 gauges and reduce the centre piece by 2.5mm. Mick Nicholson.

Guest Natalie Graham

You could always make your own track gauge, I made one for 3mm scale 14.2mm. It was a piece of 1/16" thick brass filed carefully to 14.2 wide with two lugs at one end the thickness of the flange clearance. I put a handle on it too. It wasn't my design but it was also the right length to give gauge widening on curves. Another idea is to take a 00 gauge roller gauge, drill and tap through the centre, then cut 2.5mm out of the middle and thread the two halves onto a length of threaded rod and lock them up with solder or adhesive at the correct gauge

• RMweb Gold

Contact Jonathan Buckie (Great Shefford of this parish). He has a laser cutter and could design and manufacture some jigs in 2 mm MDF for you, similar to what Natalie is suggesting. His prices are very reasonable.

Regards

Dave

• 1 year later...

Belated thanks for the above replies and suggestions. Work on the project got delayed by accidents, separately both SWMBO and I both managed to get (minor) fractures, consecutively, not at the same time. Then the usual round of Family commitments ..... etc...  

I have gone for the commercial 14.2 track and wheel sets for the 2 metres of track and two carriages on the funicular. 

Details of how I get on with them will (eventually) appear in my blog.

Archived