BBC Welsh Railways: Full Steam Ahead

craigwelsh

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, a series on rebuilding the Welsh Highland line. Part one seems to have disappeared quite quickly off the iplayer but part 2 is below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017hf5f/Welsh_Railways_Full_Steam_Ahead_Part_2/

Not bad coverage and interviews the protesters about the line as well as the volunteers and supporters.

Indeed, shame episode 1 isn't available, can't even find it on a torrent site anywhere.

I'd thought it would have been on series replay and available for a while. Its as if its a repeat where they only have it available for a week. I guess its because its been on the Welsh channel only.

There is an episode 3 anyway.

Part 3 is on iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01875ph/Welsh_Railways_Beating_Beeching_Part_1/

I was amazed when a nice tour up the Neath and Brecon came on including footage of Seven Sisters which is the station and colliery im trying to model! (Only a second or so before Onllwyn but still..).

There is a random clip of an A1/3 on Pullman stock but otherwise its all very appropriate footage from Wales taken from the B&R vids quite a bit and interspersed with interviews and views of preservation at Llangollen.

Last one was on tonite.

Most of the footage around pontypool was shot by jimmy Watkins not jim clemmens as stated.

Great to see a good railway program on the main channels.

Especially as so much of it was local to me the engine shed at ponty is now under a big round about.

I've also met a few of the chaps on there when my dads museum was open.

Yep, I caught this as well.

What was surprising was the colour footage of Hengoed High level, short, but more was probably cut out. Any ideas where that came from...which collection or was it part of the BBC collection.

Mike

I'll have to check through my search history as a woman from the production company had been talkign about it on a forum I came across. Im hoping I can get a copy of it sometime, only found a torrent on a members only Welsh language site so far!

Much of the footage seems to be short sections of what you get on the B&R DVDs which was the Clemmens stuff i guess.

I must get in touch with Bryan King again as I want to know which 7200 tank fell over in my colliery and how the exchange traffic was worked.

These two programmes are probably the most accurate railway programming broadcast since the 80s. Would have been nice to get a but of LNWR in S.Wales on there too. Loved the industrial without any ABS brakes on those wheels ;).

• RMweb Gold

Oh boy,is this a wallow in nostalgia ! I was brought up in Aberdare and lived there until the early 60's. I travelled the Vale of Neath line many times--to Neath in one direction and to Pontypool Road--over the Crumlin viaduct--in the other. The Glynneath and Gelli Tarw banks were an evocative challenge in every sense. Fabulous footage!

• RMweb Gold

You have to become a member to get hold of that from the details.

Sorry, but you said you couldn't find it on a torrent site, and I gave you the address of one where it can be found.

Becoming a member is not that onerous, and it doesn't cost anything. And unlike some private torrent sites, you can use whatever client you like as long as it works.

Alternatively, I could send you the file. It's 229 MB so PM me your snail-mail address and I'll send it to you on a CD.

Best wishes

• 1 month later...

I just seen that episode 1 is on BBC2 at 19:00 tonight (23rd January) , sadly on Wales, but if you have Freesat you can pick it up. Hopefully for those who don't live in Wales or have Freesat it will be on iplayer.

I wonder if it's because it's the first day of the Year of the (Welsh) Dragon?

Archived