Murdoch

Coldgunner

I didn't know this one had appeared ! looks good, and I think one will be trundling round my lad's layout before the end of December now.

Glad to see it is DCC ready and not too ridiculously priced either.

Totally off topic, but while googling for Murdoch, there was a sponsored link for "Hornby at Debenhams". Oh dear. One item, a keyring with one of the Olympic mascot things on it.

Sacrilege.

What I don't understand is how adding a face to a model means Hornby can charge £10+ more for a Thomas version. The cheapest price I've seen is £74 at Hattons which isn't too bad on the wallet, but the fact Hornby sell the Railroad 9F's at a much lower prices bugs me somewhat.

Jack

Licensing is about 2% of the total price (from that I gathered in conversations with HiT reps last year). I would imagine the extra price comes from the surprising complicated livery application. Hornby have said a few times that livery applications are one of the most expensive part of the manufacturing process.

Licensing is about 2% of the total price (from that I gathered in conversations with HiT reps last year). I would imagine the extra price comes from the surprising complicated livery application. Hornby have said a few times that livery applications are one of the most expensive part of the manufacturing process.

I do belive that HIT have flogged the brand to I think Mattel? I wonder if the agreement still stands.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally given murdoch a test run, and I'm very impressed. Picked it up for £74 from my locla shop who matched Hattons, and it's a beaut. Very nice smooth mechanism, although could be more lower geared for me.

It is a smooth runner that doesn't need the tender to be attached to run, Attaching the tender is a little tricky, but it works and does offer extra pickups when on.

I'm impressed, although people should shop around. I've seen one for £98......

Archived