RMweb

Midland Main Line Electrification

• 5 weeks later...

Has there been any more progress on this project?

Piling for the overhead is due to start on the Corby branch imminently, there were a couple of consultation events this week in Corby. Track on the new down line is almost complete, there was a tamper working around Geddington station on Wednesday, and all the existing signals to be moved have now been relocated.

The major project phase still to come is the realigning at Glendon South to put all the lines where they should be, not sure when the blockade is for that but October was mentioned a while ago. I believe its a full weekend for the Corby line but only an overnight for the mainline.

• RMweb Gold

Piling for the overhead is due to start on the Corby branch imminently, there were a couple of consultation events this week in Corby. Track on the new down line is almost complete, there was a tamper working around Geddington station on Wednesday, and all the existing signals to be moved have now been relocated.

The major project phase still to come is the realigning at Glendon South to put all the lines where they should be, not sure when the blockade is for that but October was mentioned a while ago. I believe its a full weekend for the Corby line but only an overnight for the mainline.

The double track is extending slowly.

33847411923_77c1bb293d_k.jpgIMG_4290 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Glendon South (junction). Double track now extends from Kettering North Junction past Glendon South. Network Rail have announced that piling for the OHLE masts is  to start on May 13 2017 so this scene may well change soon.

33847483723_e4693bc7c2_k.jpgIMG_4291 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Kettering North Junction showing the double track extending both ways from the junction even though someone has carelessly left a couple of sleepers on the new down line.

Geoff

• Like 1

The double track is extending slowly.

33847411923_77c1bb293d_k.jpgIMG_4290 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Glendon South (junction). Double track now extends from Kettering North Junction past Glendon South. Network Rail have announced that piling for the OHLE masts is to start on May 13 2017 so this scene may well change soon.

33847483723_e4693bc7c2_k.jpgIMG_4291 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Kettering North Junction showing the double track extending both ways from the junction even though someone has carelessly left a couple of sleepers on the new down line.

Geoff

The sleepers are temporary stop blocks. The new down line ends abruptly just round the corner, the current single line running into what will become the down line. The single line has to be slewed across to connect with the new up line into Platform 1, the line from platform 2 connected to the new down line. The points on the junction here are locked to only allow traffic to or from the mainline on to the current single line.

The major project will slew the single line, lay the new track connecting the two ends of the down line and removing the point which currently splits the single line into platforms 1 and 2. The crossovers which replace this are already in place.

Edited by RANGERS

• RMweb Gold

The sleepers are temporary stop blocks. The new down line ends abruptly just round the corner, the current single line running into what will become the down line. The single line has to be slewed across to connect with the new up line into Platform 1, the line from platform 2 connected to the new down line. The points on the junction here are locked to only allow traffic to or from the mainline on to the current single line.

The major project will slew the single line, lay the new track connecting the two ends of the down line and removing the point which currently splits the single line into platforms 1 and 2. The crossovers which replace this are already in place.

But at Kettering trains are already running on the up line so does it swing back and forth?

33086276962_9cae023bd2_k.jpgIMG_4088 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222002 takes the new crossover north of Kettering Station with  the 11:00 departure from Kettering to Corby. Wednesday 1 March 2017.33086308752_b728c361ee_k.jpgIMG_4097 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222010 prepares to take the new crossover just north of Kettering station to use platform 2 with the 1P34, 11:16 departure from Corby on time for arrival at Kettering at 11:25 to form the 11:26 service to St Pancras International. Saturday 4 March 2017.

Geoff

But at Kettering trains are already running on the up line so does it swing back and forth?

33086276962_9cae023bd2_k.jpgIMG_4088 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222002 takes the new crossover north of Kettering Station with  the 11:00 departure from Kettering to Corby. Wednesday 1 March 2017.33086308752_b728c361ee_k.jpgIMG_4097 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222010 prepares to take the new crossover just north of Kettering station to use platform 2 with the 1P34, 11:16 departure from Corby on time for arrival at Kettering at 11:25 to form the 11:26 service to St Pancras International. Saturday 4 March 2017.

Geoff

Will have a look passing through in the morning but it looks like the re-aligning has been done, the crossover is new and the original point splitting platform 1 and 2 will have gone. See what happens when you don't take note of the track beneath you!

• RMweb Gold

Will have a look passing through in the morning but it looks like the re-aligning has been done, the crossover is new and the original point splitting platform 1 and 2 will have gone. See what happens when you don't take note of the track beneath you!

Much appreciated, thanks. It appears to have changed  around the time the new signal bridge was commissioned.

Geoff

Confirmation that the four lines are indeed all in the correct place and the points don't look to be locked, suggesting the signals are also fully commissioned.

The new down line continues as far as Corby South, the distant and outer home are still in the four foot so there's two short stretches still to install once these signals are moved.

Beyond the facing crossover at Corby North, the down line has another short gap, just south of the platform, but the new junction signal for the branches to Tata and the car terminal is in place and working.

• RMweb Gold

Confirmation that the four lines are indeed all in the correct place and the points don't look to be locked, suggesting the signals are also fully commissioned.

The new down line continues as far as Corby South, the distant and outer home are still in the four foot so there's two short stretches still to install once these signals are moved.

Beyond the facing crossover at Corby North, the down line has another short gap, just south of the platform, but the new junction signal for the branches to Tata and the car terminal is in place and working.

Thank you Rangers. You can add Roving Reporter to your CV.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

When studying for my first degree, I remember seeing a "Transport 2000" map which showed routes which (in an ideal world) would be electrified. This, of course,

included the MML.

Now over 40 years later, I somehow doubt if the entire MML up to Sheffield (and realistically beyond) will be completed in my lifetime.

Hope to be proved wrong though.....

• RMweb Premium

When studying for my first degree, I remember seeing a "Transport 2000" map which showed routes which (in an ideal world) would be electrified. This, of course,

included the MML.

Now over 40 years later, I somehow doubt if the entire MML up to Sheffield (and realistically beyond) will be completed in my lifetime.

The Midland railway's electrification policy was as follows:- 1, Derby-Manchester primarily for freight, then 2, St Pancras-Bedford. They also did experiments with the aim of seeing if they could do the Aire valley commuter network using 5 car trains with 2 motor cars and 3 trailers. The board was certainly committed to electrification and thus the Lancaster Morecambe Heysham lines were used as a test bed to prove the various technologies. Ths I suepct that but for the outbreak of WW1 the whole Main Line would have been wired before too long. The various tests and strategies are set out in the paper presented to the Institution of Civil Engineers in IIRC 1908 by Dalzeil and Sayers who were in charge of the Lancaster project.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Anything online about these MR plans Jamie?

So would the Derby-Manchester section have been a 'Tunnel Scheme', similar to Woodhead?

H Pete and 62613. Unfortunately there isn't anything online that I'm aware of except possible to members of the ICE. I got a photocopy of the 53 page paper via a friend who was librarian to another engineering body. I got all this researching for my model of Lancaster Green Ayre. There have been a couple of articles in the Midland railway Society Journal about the Lancaster Scheme that refer to the other plans and I do a talk that includes quite a bit of it. The Midland, along with several other railways was seriously interested in Electrification. The first scheme was a3rd rail low DC St Pancras to Bedford scheme in the 1890's but the costs of manning all the rotary converter substations 24/7, every 7 miles I think, made it uneconomic. Obviously by 1906 things had moved on. Deeley was the prime mover and got board approval in June 1906. By Late 1906 Dalziel and Sayers had been given a good brief and told to get on with the job. With Deeley's absolute backing they selected a High Voltage overhead AC system based on the Altoona line in Hamburg, did the surveys for mast positions and got the stock designed and built. By Mid 1908 the system was running at a 95% PPM in modern terms and that included the generating plant as well as trains and the overhead. There's even a delay minute attribution table in the ICE paper. Manchester Derby was primarily for freight and they panned to use 80 ton Bo Bo's. One day I'll make a model of one based on conjecture and paint it maroon of course. The one thing that the Lancaster lines didn't have was tunnels and their initial plans were made so that the tunnels never needed to be fully closed for maintenance. Their outline plan was for a 1500v rail mounted above head height on the tunnel walls with aside contact shoe on the locos. I can't remember the exact proposals but would have to dig out the paperwork. All in all it was a fascinating scheme and the way that Deeley gave his full backing to Dalzeil and Sayers is a lesson in good management.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

One of the less welcome results of the electrification of the line to Corby is the erection of security fencing along the line. The guy supervising the contractors reckoned they had a year's work to complete the fencing. I will not be able to carry my steps on my bike!

Geoff

34736783271_726ee3ec2e_k.jpgIMG_4323 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Fortress England marches on alongside the Manton Line at the Glendon Iron Coy's Bridge.

34828556906_85d7e5b113_k.jpgIMG_4327 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

34736830621_edaa59d315_k.jpgIMG_4326 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

The 12:01 departure from Kettering for Corby rounds the curve from Glendon South before passing under the Glendon Iron Coy's Bridge. 222022 is providing the service.

34057918183_18a7dce512_k.jpgIMG_4332 by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

222022 having enjoyed a brief rest at Corby heads back to St Pancras with the 12:16 departure from Corby. Meanwhile the barricades continue.

Edited by geoff
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

included the MML.

I can go back further than that.

When it was announced that BR was to phase out steam and replacement was to be by diesel power it was stated that it was to be an interim measure whilst the network was electrified!

(Quite how much "electrified" wasn't made clear)

However here we are 50-60 years on and we are still replacing diesel with diesel (for the third or fourth time) and still only have a fractionally electrified network.

Even the first generation electrics have more or less long gone.

The Nation's varying financial position over the years is much to blame with the short-sightedness of lower initial cost (dieselisation) outweighting the long term advantage of electrification with it's greater intitial cost and disruption.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I can go back further than that.

When it was announced that BR was to phase out steam and replacement was to be by diesel power it was stated that it was to be an interim measure whilst the network was electrified!

(Quite how much "electrified" wasn't made clear)

However here we are 50-60 years on and we are still replacing diesel with diesel (for the third or fourth time) and still only have a fractionally electrified network.

Even the first generation electrics have more or less long gone.

The Nation's varying financial position over the years is much to blame with the short-sightedness of lower initial cost (dieselisation) outweighting the long term advantage of electrification with it's greater intitial cost and disruption.

Keith

And some people wonder why we don't have a lot of infrastructure to support electric cars..,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, remember the biggest 'stopgap' until full electrification was the HST!

The APT project was likely to be gas-turbine until it was realised how thirsty they would be. Add an oil crisis to knock that into the long grass and the decision was made to electric instead.

That however would take time to design, so they asked the boffins at Derby to come up with a diesel train that would do in the meantime....