A Scottish pre-grouping r-t-r

Oh sorry, I forgot the NB had a Drummond small 0-6-0 too (sorry don't know its variant name in LNER days).

So that is four locos, four pregrouping companies, three grouping companies, at both ends of the country and they lasted into BR days...........

The NBR Drummond 0-6-0s were LNER classes J32 and J34. The J32s were larger engines than the J34s. The J32s were withdrawn between 1921 and 1925. None of them got LNER livery or their LNER numbers. The J34s were withdrawn between 1921 and 1928 - a few got LNER numbers.

The J32s, built in 1876-77, were rebuilt in 1898-1903. They got Holmes cabs in place of the original Drummond ones, and a different design of boiler, which meant the wheelbase had to be modified. The J34s were also rebuilt in 1898-1908, but kept the Drummond cab and same wheelbase. (One J34 was rebuilt earlier, as a result of accident damage, and it did get a Holmes cab.)

So I'm not sure how much a J32 after rebuilding would have in common with the Caledonian/Highland/LSWR engines. The J34 might be a possibility.

(Source - Locomotives Illustrated #137).

When you look back at old model railway magazines of the 1960s/70s, there were a number of very RTR ingenious conversions going on of the sort that you don't see often nowadays.

One was, I recall, a Mainline J72 into a passable ex LD&ECR 0-6-0T (LNER J60) and others included an A4 into a P2 and a Triang Princess into a Black 5.

How strange you mention that. I've just bought a Bachy J72 just for the purpose of making a J60 in GCR days.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

How strange you mention that. I've just bought a Bachy J72 just for the purpose of making a J60 in GCR days.

Jim

Good luck with the project. The article was in the Jan 1979 Railway Modeller if you would like to have a look.

As an LD&ECR enthusiast I would love to see how you get on.

Cheers,

Tony

Good luck with the project. The article was in the Jan 1979 Railway Modeller if you would like to have a look.

As an LD&ECR enthusiast I would love to see how you get on.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I actually have that magazine, thanks for the heads up! I'll post pictures of my efforts when I get rountwit!

The other great use for a J72 is the GER J67 - 69 family. The Worsdell connection between Darlington and Stratford at work; although it is quite a lot of plastic surgery, the features can be rearranged satisfactorily enough, once new cab and tank side profile pieces have been grafted onto the original shell. Did one of these years ago when the Mainline J72 came out (long gone), and will do another 'one day' if a RTR model doesn't emerge. With a preserved specimen, that gorgeous blue livery possibility both GER and as Liverpool street pilot no 68619, and widespread service in LNER and BR days off the GER - including several in Scotland - this has to be a good possibility for a RTR model.

Guest Natalie Graham

Bill Stott at NuCast did a whitemetal kit for a 4-4-0 that doubled as a GNoSR loco and something on the Southern (Class G?) I photograhed them after painting 'em but the negs are in the attic.

That would be the class V or LNER D40. They and the Southern ones were the same loco. THE SECR bought 5 of them that the GNoSR ordered in a fit of optimism about future traffic and then didn't want. Worsley Works does etched parts for these.

Benachie has built a nice model of this from a Nucast kit, and recorded it in the previous version of MI- where it is now I don't know, but it was a very informative article that would be helpful to anyone with one of these kits.

It was a PDK kit - the Nucast kit is showing its age these days. The article is in Showcase here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/showcase/?p=2062

Alan

Archived