Bachmann 7mm Coaches

NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Just a quick question can any one point me in the right direction on to what Bachmann produced in the RTR market on the coach front? I know that these are long gone but was wondering what liveries and pricing was ect?

I have searched for a while now but I can not find any information out what so ever?

Any advice would be appreciated :good_mini:

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

• RMweb Premium

Darren.

I might be wrong but didn't they only come as shells (no glazing/no interior) in unpainted brass though Tower Models may have finished a few for customers as specials. Until recently Tower still had them listed on their website but as 'sold out', however, that page has gone now. They have not been in production now for some time as you say. I've only seen one or two painted ones for sale (described as painted by the seller), the rest have been plain brass.

The 7mm Bachmann Brass Mk1s require a fair amount of work - window frames (bars too thick) and incorrect ride height just to start. However, I regularly see a superb rake done by a fellow Avon Gauge O Group member and they are certainly worth the effort. (Well I hope so as I've been picking the odd one or three up on eBay over the last year or so - but these are not a priority project so don't hold your breath!).

Interior wise, I've had Peter Cowling make up some seating packs for me but I think Tower might have some generic seating packs still available. Glazing wise, I'll use picture framing glass as my friend has done for his vehicles.

Availability wise, first class coaches regularly come up, the seconds do come up now and again, the brakes (full/second/composite) are rare and the buffets even rarer. There is a chap currently selling some on eBay, he's dripping them on one/two a week (but they have 'buy it now' on them at good 'fair' prices so may have gone but watch out his descriptions are a bit off as his Second Open currently listed looks more like a First Open/Corridor to me - wrong number of windows for a SO). The other good place to look for them is the 'Sales/Wants' page on the Gauge O Guild website (though you need to be a member to get access)

Good Luck! - Oh and mine will be banger blue/grey, no chance of NSE!

This screengrab is the rear cover of the February 1999 Gauge O Guild Gazette, with the Bachmann advert for the coaches.

Although it isn't listed in the advert, I believe an RKB was also produced, and one recently sold on e-bay for £ 275. The others can be occasionally found for much less. I think when available from Tower Models the re-run coaches were initially priced at around £ 195, but prices went up with later deliveries from Sang Cheng. .

post-3140-0-48087800-1323356781_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy's

Many thanks for all your response, great work :good:

TimC thanks for all that info I have just joint Gauge O Guild and keeping a eye on the For Sale section :sungum: better start saving!!!!!

Jeremy that's just what I was looking for many thanks for that I have been searching all over for a picture :drink_mini: very helpful

Cromptonnut to be honest they was recommended to me at the O Gauge trade show at Reading last week, but I just could not fin much out about them, but now I have I might just look at other alternatives such as easy build ect, I do like the look of the Heljan MK1's I am certain I could always add the NSE flash :good_mini: but in time what to have the vibrant livery applied :dirol_mini:

Many thanks to you all

Cheers Darren NSE DAZ

Daz,

Easy build may be a misnomer. Bought one, started it, gave it away.

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the heads up, what did you find wrong with the coach? and what would you suggest as a decent coach manufacturer?

Any information would be gratefully received

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Don't forget JLTRT they do alot of versions of the MK1 with the option of the commen wealth bogies aswell.

I haven't built one but I've seen loads of them and they do look very nice, they do mk2s aswell! Nice little cross country behind an Intercity 47.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill, thanks for the heads up, what did you find wrong with the coach? and what would you suggest as a decent coach manufacturer?

Any information would be gratefully received

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Darren

If you want a decent MK1 coach manufacturer you wont go wrong with the Modern motive power ones made by David Parkins follow this link

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Coaching_Stock.html

Cheaper than the Bachmann ones were but a labour of love to build but worth every minute of the time involved and the results are second to none.

Regards

Mark J

Don't forget JLTRT they do alot of versions of the MK1 with the option of the commen wealth bogies aswell.

I haven't built one but I've seen loads of them and they do look very nice, they do mk2s aswell! Nice little cross country behind an Intercity 47.

Hi steve fay,

Thanks for that JLTRT are not the cheapest but look fantastic :sungum: MK2s behind a intercity class 47 sounds superb, i had better start saving!!!!

Cheers Darren NSE DAZ

Darren

If you want a decent MK1 coach manufacturer you wont go wrong with the Modern motive power ones made by David Parkins follow this link

http://www.djparkins...hing_Stock.html

Cheaper than the Bachmann ones were but a labour of love to build but worth every minute of the time involved and the results are second to none.

Regards

Mark J

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this information just checked out the link, not bad prices as well :yes:

Thanks for all your help

Darren NSE DAZ

• 1 year later...

Has anyone any finished pictures of the David J Parkins Mk 1's? I've just bught one, the coach detailing supplied looks second to none. I've always worked with 4mm brass kits so I thought something in 7mm would be easy.....mistake. But hey it's just same I hope???

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone any finished pictures of the David J Parkins Mk 1's? I've just bught one, the coach detailing supplied looks second to none. I've always worked with 4mm brass kits so I thought something in 7mm would be easy.....mistake. But hey it's just same I hope???

Welcome to RMweb Walt!

Darren Sherwood Jones did a build of a MMP Mk1 in Model Rail - Issues 118/128. Might be worth getting hold of these - eBay or your local model club maybe.

There is a build of an MMP GUV on RMweb somewhere - by member 'Boris' if I recall correctly but a quick search didn't find it - it maybe on the old RMweb.

Good luck - there is a lot of modelling in those MMP Mk1s but they look the biz when done.

There is nothing easy about the MMP kits, but with the right skills and time they build up into nice models.

Check out http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/ for some tips and advice on these kits.

There is nothing easy about the MMP kits, but with the right skills and time they build up into nice models.

Check out http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/ for some tips and advice on these kits.

I feel I must defend my product here.  I cannot accept that our Mk.1 coaches are hard to build [if hard is the same as not easy].

I do not think there is anything that hard about them - but that is NOT the same as saying that they are a quick build.  They are not a quick build due to the amount of detail - but adding detail is not hard, it is just time-consuming.  Stop counting the hours and enjoy the building! 

If you want ten Mk.1s to whizz round the garden at 90mph then I accept you'd go for something less detailed but if you want 3-4 coaches that are going to be 'on-layout' for considerable periods of time then detail matters - particularly if you are lighting them and adding the interiors.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

There is nothing on the market that comes even close to the Modern Motive Power Mk1's

They will take a little time to build but are not difficult. The body and the roof come preformed for you in the box.

Built carefully you will end up with a superb coach

Regards

Simon

Archived