Glen Loch 1980's Scotrail Branchline.

Simon Moore

• RMweb Premium

Well at least you've come to a conclusive decision, Simon. If the system works and you're happy with it, DCC or no, you are right to stick with it. At least you're not going to spend the next few weeks going backwards and forwards.

So - let's hope further progress is now made. Post-up what you do!

Btw, nice collection of photos in the other thread. The Castle on the viaduct is superb!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff that shot in question was 2 years in the making & i must admit i prefer black & white to colour photos but that one is a cracker of a photo :D

Going to get cracking with the layout now i know where i am at. I'm going to possibly get the timber to finish off the backscene & strengthen the baseboards this weekend depending on what SWMBO has in store for me. I really want to get the baseboard & the electrics done before new year & then i can concentrate on the scenic work. I think a single 8 x 4 sheet should in theory be enough ply to do all the backscenes & the control panel.

I think i need to make a trip to maplins at some point too for some switches so i can make all of the layout sectional. The thing i need to look into now is a control system that will power the layout, points & lighting once it is fitted. I did think of using the DCC system at one point for the point control but i think a full control panel is the way forward.

I'm just happy that i know where i'm at now & where i need to go. This whole DCC set up has really annoyed me because it has cost me a small fortune with decoders & its been a failure. Hopefully a layout in the future with diesels will use the decoders but i am very sore about it all.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with all of that! I hope you don't need too much ply, as it's quite expensive. I've gone through over 30 8' x 4' 12mm sheets during the garage conversion etc.

I've found Rapid Electronics to be a much better source of switches and electrical gear than Maplin. Quite a bit cheaper, too. I've got my power bus wire from Maplin, though.

Whatever you do, have fun!!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jeff I have a maplins close to hand so it's easy when I need a few bits. It might be a bit more expensive but for the little bits I need it will probably even out on the postage.

Although I've not done much to the layout I have been doing a few things for it. Firstly I drew up a design for the control panel & worked out how I am going to go about building it. All being well it should be straight forward. I'm not going todo anything to the layout thought baseboard/electronics wise until January. I'm going to book a week off & have a real good run at it & get everything done in one swoop.

Buildings wise the layout is pretty much sorted, I made a start on the cattle dock some time agoa but never finished it off. I got the base in red primer but never went any further with it. On Tuesday I dug it out & made a start on getting the base finished. It's now fully painted & suitably weathered so the next stage is to paint all the posts & fix them in pace on the base.

I need to find a colour photo of a cattle dock on the S&C so I can get a colour for the railings as I am not sure what colour to paint them.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with your search for the cattle dock photo(s). I've just done a quick Google search and come up with nothing. The first couple of pages of images did, however, throw up some very familiar images/diagrams from Kirkby Luneside and Austwick!

I've been following the discussion on your running problems with DCC, but not DC. Haven't looked for the last 2 days, though - hope it gets sorted.

Jeff

Jeff i have given up trying on the DCC front whatever the problem i can't figure it out. So far DCC has been a costly mistake & everytime i try to get some headway with the layout it goes wrong. I have learnt one thing for sure whilst building this layout ( I will not be doing DCC again with steam locos ) I am happy with the results & extra wiring for DC running & this is my route forward from now on.

I do plan on doing a scottish themed layout next though & this will be DCC as all the locos i have run beautifully with the digital chips fitted. But for now my main focus is on getting Austwick moving forward.

I too googled for a cattle dock & came up with nothing i think i shall post in one of the forums here & get some help.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff I have a maplins close to hand so it's easy when I need a few bits. It might be a bit more expensive but for the little bits I need it will probably even out on the postage.

Although I've not done much to the layout I have been doing a few things for it. Firstly I drew up a design for the control panel & worked out how I am going to go about building it. All being well it should be straight forward. I'm not going todo anything to the layout thought baseboard/electronics wise until January. I'm going to book a week off & have a real good run at it & get everything done in one swoop.

Buildings wise the layout is pretty much sorted, I made a start on the cattle dock some time agoa but never finished it off. I got the base in red primer but never went any further with it. On Tuesday I dug it out & made a start on getting the base finished. It's now fully painted & suitably weathered so the next stage is to paint all the posts & fix them in pace on the base.

I need to find a colour photo of a cattle dock on the S&C so I can get a colour for the railings as I am not sure what colour to paint them.

Simon

Hi Simon the colour of Cattle docks is the same as fencing, a sort of light grey that weathered wood goes to. I'll try and find any that I've got of Long Preston. If you have time there is a bit of original Midland fencing that will give you the colour at Long Preston (And probably in many other places) Go to Long Preston and coming south out of the village follow the road towards Gisburn till just before it goes over the railway by the almshouses. On your right is the approach road to the cattle dock and there is some original fencing on your left as you walk down.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Well at least you've come to a conclusive decision, Simon. If the system works and you're happy with it, DCC or no, you are right to stick with it. At least you're not going to spend the next few weeks going backwards and forwards. Jeff

Hi Simon,

I agree with Jeff, you need to be happy with what you are doing and feel confident with your layout's performance, especially if you are going to exhibit it. Both DC and DCC have their advantages and disadvantages, and ultimately its what suits you and your layout that counts.

All the best,

Dave.T

PS Sorry if I seem to have hi-jacked your DCC Questions thread.

Thanks guys :D

Jamie i shall have a look sometime later this week as it is literally 5 minutes from my house to Long Preston ;)

Right time for a bit of a update. As i write this the time is 07.05am & i've just placed an order with Hattons to buy all the DC gear needed to make a control panel & have a hand held walkabout controller. All the gear to be used is by Gaugemaster & i've got the M1 Transformer, Handheld DC controller, Probe & studs for the motors & a CDU. I've also picked up a second hand J39 off ebay for £39.99 which i am chuffed about. That will be a foreigner visiting via Skipton & Ilkley.

Going to get some kip now but when i get up i am off to the timber merchants all being well to get the rest of the wood needed to make the control panel & backscenes. All systems are go at Austwick :D

Simon

Yesterday I managed to get all the timber for the back scenes & it's all cut ready for fitting.

I did make an error with the wood cuts but I've left overs so I can rectify my error. Tomorrow I'm going to spend all day putting everything together & finishing off the woodwork. Hopefully I can also get the control panel started although I need a few more bits & pieces to finish it off.

I'm not sure what colour to paint the back scenes. I thought of painting them white at the start but will it look right? The dales are always grim so I thought maybe painting it a grey of trying to get a overcast look to it I've not got that bit figured out yet.

Once the back scenes are fitted I will take some photos & show how it's looking. I've also to fit the road over bridge I forgot to mention which could take a bit of doing to get right because of how it sits on the layout.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I managed to get all the timber for the back scenes & it's all cut ready for fitting.

I did make an error with the wood cuts but I've left overs so I can rectify my error. Tomorrow I'm going to spend all day putting everything together & finishing off the woodwork. Hopefully I can also get the control panel started although I need a few more bits & pieces to finish it off.

I'm not sure what colour to paint the back scenes. I thought of painting them white at the start but will it look right? The dales are always grim so I thought maybe painting it a grey of trying to get a overcast look to it I've not got that bit figured out yet.

Once the back scenes are fitted I will take some photos & show how it's looking. I've also to fit the road over bridge I forgot to mention which could take a bit of doing to get right because of how it sits on the layout.

Simon

On my last layout I started by painting all the backscene boards a blue colour to represent sky - with the intention of painting in a foreground. I never got round to it!

This time, I've fitted backscene boards to the walls ready to take some of those photographic backscenes that lots of people use these days. I'm ok building things, but bl**dy hopeless at coherent artwork. I want the background literally - in the background and not "in your face". It's an individual call, Simon. Go with what you feel is right!

Will be interested to see what you decide to do.

Best wishes for Christmas and all the best, in general, and in modelling, for 2013!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Simon

Hi Simon,   MY Long Preston backscenes were blue to start with with the hills and buildings painted on by a very talented artist member of the team.  if you are ever in Long Preston on a saturday when the village hall is open for a coffee morning (Most weeks) go and look at the backscenes that are on the station area which is on display.  It would be very similar to Austwick.  I've got several of the Long preston backscenes in the shed and you would be welcome to have them if you wanted if only for ideas.

Jamie

Hi Simon,   MY Long Preston backscenes were blue to start with with the hills and buildings painted on by a very talented artist member of the team.  if you are ever in Long Preston on a saturday when the village hall is open for a coffee morning (Most weeks) go and look at the backscenes that are on the station area which is on display.  It would be very similar to Austwick.  I've got several of the Long preston backscenes in the shed and you would be welcome to have them if you wanted if only for ideas.

Jamie

Thanks for the offer Jamie but i have just read this after i have fitted my backscenes. As Long Preston is only 10 minutes away i will have a look in & cast my eye over the layout too it would be nice to see. 

Its time for a progress report of what's happened at Austwick today.

I managed to get a free day today with SWMBO & the girls out at the mother in laws for the day so the day of reckoning had finally come. It's funny it was this time last year the layout was born & its taken a year to finish off the woodwork but today its all but complete. I've still to make the control panel & i've still to strengthen the trestle legs but that is half an hours work tomorrow afternoon when i return from work.

With the timber merchant cutting all the wood for me & having only a few bits to cut myself it's not taken a long time to get it done & its been a hassle free job all the way.

This is a general view of the layout now with buildings on for reference.

post-8269-0-46263500-1356280230_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more of the layout now with backscenes & the road which crosses over the track.

post-8269-0-89121200-1356280365_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-50031100-1356280392_thumb.jpg

The roadway looks a bit iffy to the naked eye but it will be covered with a woodland scenics roadbed mix so it will hide my dodgy wood cuts. Once all the embankments are fitted & everything is tied in it will really look the part & i am really happy with my progress today. If i have enough time tomorrow i am going to nip up to the model shop pick up a few on, off switches & maybe make a start on wiring the layout AGAIN :)

Anyway thats all for now folks 

Happy Christmas 

Simon :D

• RMweb Premium

Just don't forget an Etherington style semi elliptical arch for your scenic break, the same shaep as all the overbridges between Skipton and Lowgill.  The one just beyound Clapham on the Ingleton Branch is the one I measured up for the two scenic breaks on Long Preston.

Jamie

Jamie i wish i could model that but due to space restrictions i am going to have to use a peco girder style bridge although not exactly a prototypical it will have to do. I don't think the model will look too bad once it is tied in with everything else. 

The layout was packed away today in time for christmas & i will return to work on it in the new year. All being well the layout will progress further in the new year. I want to take a few days holiday during the first few months of the year & get the layout fully wired & running then all i have to work on is the scenic aspect of the layout.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Well it seems like ages since i last did any work to the layout, it was packed away at christmas & due to having a bit of time out with stress i am finally coming back around to the world of the living. 

Moving up to management at work really played a role in the stress i suffered but work have been really good to me allowing me to stand back down to my old role. Happily i am now starting to come back around & getting myself focused on the things i have been missing in my life. Firstly the kids & my long suffering girlfriend was top priority so now we are all back to normal again its time to start to focus on my hobbies & the things that keep me happy. 

I'm not going to dive into the layout straight away as it is a large project so i've dug out some 7mm narrow gauge coaches that are half built & started to get those finished off giving me the kick i need to continuing building Austwick. 

On saturday thought i did go out to catch the A4 on the Cumbrian mountain express & on my way home i did take a detour on the road to Austwick village to just start the ball rolling in my head about what my modeling task at home was. The road to Austwick from Helwith Bridge is my proposed railway route so it gave me food for thought & hopefully soon the layout is going to get to the next stage. 

I really need to get the control panel built next. I recently did manage to make the front panel & fit all the stud contacts on ready for wiring but the task of wiring was far to much for me to take on at that time.

Progress is still very slow because my family are coming first but i am coming back slowly ;)

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

It's good to see you back on here and I'm very pleased you're getting your life sorted more to YOUR satisfaction than to how others might want you to live it!

It sounds like you've got some great people around you. Take it easy - and remember, railway modelling is supposed to be fun - not a chore. So if you only move forward slowly - hey, at least you ARE moving forward!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

It certainly helps having support from family & friends when you head goes up your backside.

I've been thinking about Austwick today & what i can tackle firstly that isn't a huge task. I think possibly tomorrow i might get the layout out of its storage cupboard & make a start trying to put the hillside on the layout & at least do something to get me moving again. I have some polystyrene blocks in the cupboard & i think there is some modrock kicking about somewhere which will be perfect to get the hills rolling. 

A trip to West End Models is also on the cards tomorrow to get some Wills sheets to make the overbridge abruptments. 

I shall post my progress up tomorrow all being well.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Simon - thanks for the comments on KL.

I've replied there.

There's a very active group of "Lunesters" - as we call ourselves now. Do a tag search on "Lunester Layouts" or "Lunester Threads" and you'll find quite a few budding layouts that might inspire you....

All the best,

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Right I think it is time for a little update !

As I write this I'm sprawled on the sofa taking 5 & supping some well earned Yorkshire tea. Over the past few days the model maker inside of me has burst into full swing once again & the layout is progressing again.

For the past week I've been pondering over the layout & trying to work out a few things in my head before I started work. Before I packed up the layout I made a start on the banking. Today I've got it to the point where all the polystyrene is now gluing & ready for the next stage. I've also started to hack & shave a large block of polystyrene into the hill that will face the station.

A quick visit to my local model shop today got me the supply's I've needed to get the ball rolling. I've got a ratio wire fence set, a pack of will stone sheets which will for the bridge walls & the fence along the road past the goods yard. I also picked up a British railways bus.

Last night I bought a Hornby black 5 which would have been an everyday loco & something missing from my collection. I'm going to renumber it to a loco that is the star of e show in one of my favourite steam world magazine stories.

I'm off for a Chinese now then I'll hopefully get the banking finished & i'll take some progress photos of my work.

Simon

Well i've finally come to a close for tonight,

I've managed to get a couple of layers of the plaster roll on the banking behind the bay platform. I've covered the road with the plaster too so that i can avoid having wood grain in the road once it is painted. 
With our Emma & the bambinos away until tomorrow i can leave the layout up in the kitchen & let the plaster go off. I'm going to be spending the day tomorrow up in the dales chasing Britannia & Union of South Africa so i am going to be gathering inspiration all day long. 

So here are the fruits of my labour today.

Although it looks like a big iceburg, the banking will look the part once it is finished off with some fencing, bushes & greenery.

post-8269-0-53512600-1362167660_thumb.jpg

Although it is roughly done you can see the textures of the wills stone sheet & the peco bridge sides that will form the road over bridge & scenic break.

post-8269-0-20735800-1362167836_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-25385700-1362167876_thumb.jpg

This is the rather untidy look of the layout with things placed down to get an idea of where i am going. I've started to build the big hillside across from the station which is the large poly block say there.

post-8269-0-97867800-1362167976_thumb.jpg

This is the bus i found at the model shop which i thought would look at home leaving the station & heading up the road.

post-8269-0-18421700-1362167999_thumb.jpg

I'd really have liked a Pennine bus but having searched various websites & googled i cannot seem to find a period Pennine bus.

Thats all for now i think i'll pick it up on sunday & do a bit of work to the model in the morning. I want to nip over to the Gala at the Worth Valley on sunday weather permitting.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Well i've finally come to a close for tonight,

I've managed to get a couple of layers of the plaster roll on the banking behind the bay platform. I've covered the road with the plaster too so that i can avoid having wood grain in the road once it is painted. 

With our Emma & the bambinos away until tomorrow i can leave the layout up in the kitchen & let the plaster go off. I'm going to be spending the day tomorrow up in the dales chasing Britannia & Union of South Africa so i am going to be gathering inspiration all day long. 

So here are the fruits of my labour today.

Although it looks like a big iceburg, the banking will look the part once it is finished off with some fencing, bushes & greenery.

attachicon.gifDSC_0913.JPG

Although it is roughly done you can see the textures of the wills stone sheet & the peco bridge sides that will form the road over bridge & scenic break.

attachicon.gifDSC_0915.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0918.JPG

This is the rather untidy look of the layout with things placed down to get an idea of where i am going. I've started to build the big hillside across from the station which is the large poly block say there.

attachicon.gifDSC_0914.JPG

This is the bus i found at the model shop which i thought would look at home leaving the station & heading up the road.

attachicon.gifDSC_0916.JPG

I'd really have liked a Pennine bus but having searched various websites & googled i cannot seem to find a period Pennine bus.

Thats all for now i think i'll pick it up on sunday & do a bit of work to the model in the morning. I want to nip over to the Gala at the Worth Valley on sunday weather permitting.

Simon

From memory you would need a Leyland Tiger Cub, tnat's what I remeber operating the services in the early 60's. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buzzer999/6956381903/in/photostream/

That's the one isn't it?

Cheers Jamie

Yes that certainly brings back memories of the old Pennine Flyer as we used to call it.  

Loading all our holiday luggage into the back door of one at Lancaster and then trying to carry it all home from the bus stop, including a large Cornflake packet full of freshly picked welsh blackberries, when the juice was causing the base to disintegrate in my hands (Aged about 8)

Later catching the last bus from Skipton (As in the picture).  This always waited till both the cinemas turned out (The Odeon and the flea pit) and the driver usually made sure that any of my contemparies that he had taken to Skipton actually got home (Including once a tour of certain pubs to find them) and then my mate having to sit on the front step with the door open in case of upsets after too much falling down water had been consumed, all the way home to Settle.

No, Austwick wouldn't be complete without a Pennine Flyer.

Jamie

Archived