Etching Primer for Stainless Steel

Hi everyone,

Landed myself in a bit of a pickle so to speak in that I have made a stainless steel etch sheet, part of which is new side inserts for a coach. These sides will be painted in NSE livery (so many different layers of paint and masking tape- all of which will need a rock solid primer otherwise I can see the first sight of masking tape causing all of the paint to flake off!)

However - looking at the standard railmatch etch primers, the info that I have found seems to suggest that they won't work on stainless steel.

Does anybody know why that is, and what might work instead?

Thanks

David

Hello David,

you could try the etch primer made by Henkel Loctite under the name of Teroson. what it says on the can, fast drying 1K etch primer. Provides excellent adhesion to steel, galvanised steel and aluminium. No mention of S/S or brass, I use it on brass and would say that it's the best primer that I've used. I got my last lot off a well known auction site for approx £7 a can.

OzzyO.

Its called Stainless for a reason!

I'm long retired from Industry, but we etched samples of S/S for microscope viewing using a solution of mixed acids in alcohol (acids at about 1%-3% strength, IIRC). Memory says it was called "Murakami's reagent"! Potentially nasty stuff!

I'll have a dig in the loft for my old text books and try to be more informative.

Alternatively, the people who did your etch should be able to supply you with an etched/primed surface as part of their package??

Or do you have an electro-plating company nearby? Some of the liquids which they use may do the job, so they may be able to help, and would be by far the cheapest option, if you ask nicely! Hopefully that would give you a surface capable of being painted.

Or cut your losses and have your etch re-made in Brass?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ozzy, I will try the Teroson and see if that works - seems like the best bet.

Don, I would normally have used brass but the majority of components on the etch are intended to be silver colour window frames, hence the stainless. Would buffing the surface with an abrasive potentially also help a primer take hold?

Would buffing the surface with an abrasive potentially also help a primer take hold?

Yes, definitely. Etch primers help with adhesion as they key themselves in with the chemical etching action, abrading the surface will have a similar effect but it possibly won't work quite as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for the replies, much appreciated.

I have acquired some auto etch primer that works with stainless steel and as suggested above by Pugsley and Chris I tested a piece by rubbing with wet & dry, and cleaning with cellulose thinners. A quick spray later and the primer seems to have taken well.

The etch primer looks like pretty nasty stuff though. Definitely an outdoors job.

Cheers

David

I have acquired some auto etch primer that works with stainless steel and as suggested above by Pugsley and Chris I tested a piece by rubbing with wet & dry, and cleaning with cellulose thinners. A quick spray later and the primer seems to have taken well.

The etch primer looks like pretty nasty stuff though. Definitely an outdoors job.

Cheers

David

Hello David,

what make and where did you get it from please.

All etch primers are a bit naughty, in that the paint / acid can get into your body not just through your respiratory system but also through your skin.

OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy

I live in Canada and managed to acquire some from an auto shop here called Canadian Tire. It's called Dominion Auto Sure Seal self-etching primer and states that it can be used with stainless. Comes in a standard aerosol.

I guess Halfords in the UK might carry something similar?

PS - thanks for the safety tip.

Archived