Seaford Lumber

Jon Gwinnett

So it's a 4ft by one board, arranged as 3:2:2 nook, assorted Hornby and Peco settrack that once formed the wee lad's Thomas set, which he's long since abandoned for computer games, the two points are new, but again only Peco settrack. I did try laying it out with Peco small radius but the lengths don't work.

The nearest left hand siding, is intended to have a Walthers Heritage Furniture at an angle to disguise the line hitting the edge of the board. https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3164

The middle siding will end at the closed gates of a yard, perhaps scrap or some other facility, forming the edge of the board.

Clearly there is scope to extend at either end and operate as a proto nook within a larger setup. The sizing works for the S4 and two 50 ft cars, which conveniently means it also works for Hbillns vans and a BR365 or similar euro set up. Whether or not I can make the building suitably international or not I don't know yet, I'm thinking magnetic signs might work.

The four foot length was determined by what will fit in the car, and the one foot depth because that was the size of the board, however if I constructed a fiddle stick or even just a 6inch or so extension I could use the 24" radius peco small streamline points (I tried the atlas #4 custom line but the S4 shorts on them everytime) which would look much better visually and mean I could use reciprocal 24" radius curves elsewhere. The downsides are the additional faff of having two board/pieces. Any thoughts out there on whether I should go with the "toy" track or use the larger streamline ones. At the moment I'm leaning towards the larger ones (which would make code75 a possibility, or a mix of 75 and 83)

Extra depth to the board would make the back diagonal siding and building work better, the question then would be how much extra - in theory I could use 18" width with a central road exit behind the diner a la freemo but the track plan would stay the same, just more scenery (not necessarily a bad thing) although the tight curves means it wouldn't meet the module spec.

Why are the Atlas #4s shorting...? If it is because the blades and frog are all wired together, it might be possible to re-wire them, or use Fast Tracks #4 turnouts.

Peco code 75 "Y" turnouts are another consideration, but their geometry would give you a funny S curve that would upset stock being propelled through it.

The shorting seems inexplicable, and I've tried the back to backs but I may keep at it, the Y point seem to cause more problems than they solve. If I move to an extension board, then I might as well build a bigger layout over two, so a fiddlesticks seems like a good option, I know not about them but will google for inspiration.

The switching fleet is expanding, with this http://www.ehattons.com/38103/Bachmann_USA_62411_EMD_GP7_Locomotive_DCC_On_Board_Erie_Black_Yellow_1211/StockDetail.aspx on order to simulate this http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3071364

I think Bachmann are doing GP7s with sound this year, that being the case I may well try to shoe horn one into the GP9 shell (assuming 7s and 9s sound vaguely similar?)

The shorting seems inexplicable, and I've tried the back to backs but I may keep at it, the Y point seem to cause more problems than they solve. If I move to an extension board, then I might as well build a bigger layout over two, so a fiddlesticks seems like a good option, I know not about them but will google for inspiration.

Scrapbook #93 http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page93/

Hi Jon,

Could the shorting be caused by the wheel backs touching the hinge on the blade that is not in use? If it is you could split the wiring between the blades as 298 suggests.

I've done the same on a Peco 3 way

Nick

I think Bachmann are doing GP7s with sound this year, that being the case I may well try to shoe horn one into the GP9 shell (assuming 7s and 9s sound vaguely similar?)

Considering that the primary difference between them was 250 horsepower, I see no reason not to do this. They had effectively the same 16-cylinder engine with the same rev range and the same supercharging.

Adrian

I've done some bench testing tonight and can advise that the loco is not shorting on the Atlas points, it was merely the switch blade failing to make contact, with the weight of the loco being enough to break the electrical connection. Feeding the points from the wrong end cured the problem. I guess I'm used to Peco with the latching spring and forgot about this on the floppy Atlas versions.

So I now have a choice and will explore what length works with the Atlas points. What do folk more familiar with them than me use to latch them? I have some ground throw levers I can use but they're obviously over scale.

Whilst testing I noticed the loco seems to clamber over the guard rails and the wheels felt tight in the crossing frog. Measuring, the back to backs were 14.35 which I think is probably at the low end of acceptable, however the measurement across the outside edge of the check rails/wing rails was more like 14.7mm, which seems well over if my reading of the NMRA standard is correct. Is this right, am I measuring wrong, or are the Atlas points on the wide side at the crossing?

As the checks are plastic, I guess I can file them slightly, and the back to back could stand to go up a bit, but I'm surprised at the findings.

Nosing round Google Earth it's obvious that New York and Greenwood Lake Railway (note, not "road") whilst it may only be an intermittent operation is laid out like a model railroad. One end is the NS interchange, then some street running, a picturesque bridge, then a small classification yard, then a lead into industry and a curving lead into the depot/transload/team track. This is shunted from the "wrong end" so is essentially constrained as a proto nook, with short cuts of cars coming past the yard to be shunted back into it. Fascinating!

HT to Pete (Trisonic) who originally featured this in the street running thread. Chapeau...

The pic's are from last year , they are crossing 2 streets no signals flagman ,from their yard into the complex.  This is my version of the complex on my layout , in the  building they are loading C&D into the my custom made high-side TLAX gondolas !!!!

post-17695-0-12667200-1400671383.jpg

post-17695-0-67908800-1400671445.jpg

post-17695-0-11263300-1400671807.jpg

Jon,

I have a plan that I show around for a switching layout on a 6x1 foot board (182.88x30.48 cm). I have it set up so that the drill track handles a locomotive and two cars because each spur holds 1 car. The idea is that one car is changed out at each spur at a time. The second track from the top can be used as storage for the locomotive, a place to hold cars during switching, and an off spot storage for any extra cars. The Loading Dock/Parking lot area is elevated for a little scenery diversion.

13899421415_830b3e4c88_b.jpg

Thanks guys.

Mike, I like the aisle side/audience side industries, always a nice idea.

Pleased to see images of NY&GL in use as recently as last year, I had feared it had shut down, as I wasn't finding any recent in service shots on the web.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

I have a plan that I show around for a switching layout on a 6x1 foot board (182.88x30.48 cm). I have it set up so that the drill track handles a locomotive and two cars because each spur holds 1 car. The idea is that one car is changed out at each spur at a time. The second track from the top can be used as storage for the locomotive, a place to hold cars during switching, and an off spot storage for any extra cars. The Loading Dock/Parking lot area is elevated for a little scenery diversion.

13899421415_830b3e4c88_b.jpg

The more I look at this the more I like the design. I keep trying to work out a good way to fit it within my space constraints, but each time I end up thinking two boards, whereas what I'm really looking for is a single board, for home and exhibition use

Archived