Seaford Lumber

Jon Gwinnett

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the 6ft board will fit the car, it's quite small, but I could explore putting it in over the top of the front seat as well.

Hi John,

That is exactly how Haston fits in my car....

6' 6" long by 1' with a backscene that is 18" high

Still room for all the usual stock, dcc gear and other exhibition essentials and a passenger in the rear as well!

Thanks

My layout is 6' long and 13" wide, and fits lengthways down the car. But to be honest, I wouldn't do it again- there's no guarantee it'll fit in the next car, and I've not found a way to load all of the extra bits such as the lighting pelmet, legs and supports, and fiddle yard (plus stock, tools and overnight bag) without managing to find the space for an extra operator too. And to date, I've yet to hear any comments about the length of the board or having a 6' scenic area without joints in the middle- I thought I was trying to be clever, but there are certain things such as baseboard joints that seem to be tolerated regardless.

Also, 6' is quite cumbersome, if I stick at my usual layout length at 7'6" then two boards of just less than 4' are quite easy to fit in a car. If I was going for a single board concept again, it'd be about 4'6" or however wide the backseat of the car is between the door handles.

..., 6' is quite cumbersome, if I stick at my usual layout length at 7'6" then two boards of just less than 4' are quite easy to fit in a car. If I was going for a single board concept again, it'd be about 4'6" or however wide the backseat of the car is between the door handles.

Which pretty much sums up where I was in trying to squeeze something useable onto a small board. Thinking cap firmly on, but will make no progress tomorrow as I'm doing a dragon boat race for charity.

I presented the plan as a 6x1 layout with Atlas Snap Track with 18 inch radius, but using Peco could save some space. Another approach would be to fold the layout into 3 pieces with the ends folding into 2 x 18 inch wings and the middle being 36 inches. The layout would then be 36 inches long for transporting.

14372762575_56e3094b02_b.jpg

Jon

I would be interested to here what you think about the sound,i've been fancying a GP7 for 59th.

Ray

Initial thoughts are that it sounds like an EMD, as you'd expect, but the starts are not as convincing as the Alco out of the box, so some tweaking will be needed to stop the loco moving before the revs kick in.

If anyone wants a Pennsy liveried GP7 with the Bachy dcc fitted non sound chassis let me know, and we can do a deal.

Jon

Hey Jon,

I just thought that I would throw out a more detailed drawing of the 6x1 foot ISL. I have an overpass on the right side of the layout with stores to act as a view block for the drill track. The drill track is enough for a locomotive and 2 cars. The track plan and its industries are designed to allow for a  mix of different freight car types. I showed a carrying handle which can also be used to fold the wings to make a 36 inch by 12 inch portable layout. The structure by the building supply is an IHC Ready Mix Plant.

I would assign the tracks from top to bottom as:

Top Track - Manufacturing Company.

Second Track - Food Processor, Additional Loading for the Manufacturing Company, Loco Storage, Freight Car Overflow

Third Track - Interchange Track

Fourth Track - Salvage Company, Building Supply

I figure that the traffic flow with 3 cars interchanged daily would be as follows:

Customer                                     Weekly loadings In/Out

Manufacturing Company                                          5/2

Food Processor                                                        3/0

Building Supply                                                        3/0

Salvage Company                                                    0/2

Total:                                                                        11/4

14250419118_d97a67989a_b.jpg

Hey Jon. I cleaned up the plan a little bit. I added a 9 inch straight section onto the drill track to make coupling and uncoupling easier. It's still the same 18 inch minimum radius. The building supply has provisions for cement & sand hoppers as well as cars for lumber such as flats. The retaining wall is there because the truck loading area is a level above the track's loading dock.

14257611980_987a8713c3_b.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I figure that it would work out to 36 inches by 9 inches, but if you keep the same dimensions, you double the layout's capacity.

Hi Mike,

Great little plan...

There are other bonus points available by doing it in N...

You can turn the 90 degrees at the right hand end so that you can fit a 'Fiddle Stick' for off layout changes.

With several 'Fiddle Stick' add ons - cassette style, you can run a full shift with changes!

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Great little plan...

There are other bonus points available by doing it in N...

You can turn the 90 degrees at the right hand end so that you can fit a 'Fiddle Stick' for off layout changes.

With several 'Fiddle Stick' add ons - cassette style, you can run a full shift with changes!

Thanks

Amen Brother!!! I could also use a curved turnout at the 54 inch mark so that it hooks onto the fiddle stick. You could also corve it around to a full 180 degrees to a stging track/yard behind the layout.

Archived