Class 37 - 1 Drive Shaft not turning

WolfofBadenoch

I have a Bachmann class 37, which was bought new 3 or 4 years ago. I've only recently started using and ran it in on DC power. I've now got it running on the layout, but 1 drive shaft has stopped turning.

One day it was running fine 1 day, but the next day when i went to run it, the loco struggled to pull it's train, and on closer inspection i could see 1 set of axles turning but the other set were still. I took the body off and could see theworm gear not turning. I'm apprehensive to pull too much apart and rip wires off, and not know where to re solder them, but i could see both sides of the motor turning, but i'm not convinced the drive shaft was being turned when it wasn't connected to gear tower. When it is connected to the drive cup /gear tower it definetly isn't turning.

I've tried pushing the bogie as close to the motor as possible to make sure the drive shaft was in at both ends, and this gave a very stuttering performance , while the other end ran freely.

Has anyone suffered a similar fault, or can someone suggest a possible fix?

I hope i've got the terminology correct!

Thanks in advance

Yep I've had this problem in the past and returned items to Bach for remedy under warranty. I do now have the problem on one of my fleet i noticed the other day (37410 in LL - similar age I think to yours). I believe that there is a simple remedy but have not yet ventured into mine to assess - hopefully someone will advise and I can take heed of their wisdom!

This was discussed on the old forum which sadly at the moment is disabled as it was causing issues on here. It is most likely one of the driveshafts popping out of the cup that holds it in place. Others may be able to help you more but I believe one of the solutions was a little bit of superglue on the end of the shaft and place it back in the cup. It can be done with a little care.

Thanks for that. I did say others may be able to help you more and you have. I would have put a link in for the original thread but as I said we cannot use the old place at the moment. If I remember correctly it was the Aluminium 37 that was the culprit.

• RMweb Gold

It was me that started the original thread on the old forum after I noticed the problem when running Bachmann locos outside in very low temperatures. As has been already commented the problem is caused by the cup rotating in the end of the flywheel. The only solution is to strip the loco down sufficiently to get the cup out (which invloves removing the bogie and cardan shaft) and glueing the cup in place with a drop of superglue. Leave to dry and reassemble.

Andi

Archived