Magwatch: Hornby Magazine #55: January 2012

• RMweb Premium

First and foremost for RM Webbers, David Segar's magnum opus, Waverley West (OO, BR Blue diesel era for anybody who does not know the layout) takes pride of place on pages 52/59.

Also

Update - manufacturers' new announcements after Warley.

Melton Mowbray North - BR (E) steam in N - John Spence

Weathering weathered waggons - Tim Shackleton

Corkscrew Lines - Baseboard construction Chris Jones

Parker's Guide - Ratio GWR signal box

Favourite Models - Hornby Dublo A4 - Evan Green Hughes

Handymand Hall Railway (OO9) Part 2 - Phil Parker

Letters

Reviews

LMS diesel 10000 plus Railway Realism

Bachmann DCC sound A1

Heljan Baby Deltic

Hornby suburban coaches

Bachmann 105 DMU

Dapol Class 22 plus history of the class

Bachmann Derby Lightweight

Bachmann 4-CEP in N

GWR ROD 2-8-0

Olivia's Trains EM1

High Elms Junction - "anything goes" OO

WInter Weather - Evan Green Hughes

All in all it seems a good issue all round. Includes a 2012 calendar with 12 images of previously featured layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Transposed pictures of the LMR Class 08 and A2 was a bit of a whoopsie I thought! Also suprised that the reviewer was not aware of the significance of that particular registration number on the Oxford Diecast bronze Ford Consul...

Nice calendar it must be said, that will be going on my refridgerator door come Jan 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I found I can now subscribe electronically to Hornby Magazine which is most helpful when you are 6,000 miles west of the Isles of Scilly. So I now have the January issue and am looking forward to February actually arriving in mid-January.

When I had a print subscription one in four issues never arrived. I never got a satisfactory answer from Ian Allen's subscription service.

The electronic subscription uses an Adobe by-product called Zinio Reader as a "locked" pdf style browser. I do not think the format is open. Anyway, I can download and store copies and get them at the same time as published in UK. Price was about $55 US for subscription. I do not think I get the 14 issues for price of 12 break. Zinio I think is tuned for a large wide format monitor/screen as I do not get a whole page at readable size (partly my deteriorating eyesight not being able to read the small print on a monitor screen.)

Now if Railway Modeller would also do an electronic format, I would be most appreciative. I would love Wild Swan to move from the early 20th century into the 21st, but that would cut out Nigel Bird's admirable service where I get MRJ, GWRJ, and Southern Way posted on the usual irregular schedules from Wales. The transit timings vary, but once I received a GWRJ here in California the day after Nigel posted it (postal time stamp showed about 28 hours),

I have been a big fan of the US Model Railroad Hobbyist electronic publication that is free and entirely advertiser supported.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I live in Denmark, and I must say that in comparison with a couple of other magazines that I subscribe to, Hornby magazine always arríves on time. I have every issue since issue 1 and really look forwards to the next issue.

Archived