Perth Station

Chameleon

I've always been curious, what was the big wall that runs up the west side of the station once part of? It is a pretty big bit of masonary and there are all sorts of doors, windows and archways cut (and filled in in most cases) into it. I know there were sidings in there for ages and the SRPS stock used to be stored there (and the last 06s were dumped there for a while IIRC)

Was it a great big carriage shed or somesuch?

I've always been curious, what was the big wall that runs up the west side of the station once part of? It is a pretty big bit of masonary and there are all sorts of doors, windows and archways cut (and filled in in most cases) into it. I know there were sidings in there for ages and the SRPS stock used to be stored there (and the last 06s were dumped there for a while IIRC)

Was it a great big carriage shed or somesuch?

It was the wall of one of the loco sheds (NB?).

The station roof once covered a much larger area and I think that the wall supported the roof, in a very similar way that Carlisle Citadel once had a huge roof that covered the entire station area. The Perth Roof was cut back substantially in the 1960s, I have a magazine article somewhere that documents the changes

Jim

Well. I was reading that the station buildings on platform 4 were once the front of the station and there was a (horse) carriage turning circle where platforms 3 and 4 are now. The place has undergone much rebuilding from the original layout. I was kinda curious about the doors n windows and big fancy archways set into a wall surrounded front and back with track.

Thanks for that link, Craig. It's sad to see what a run-down mausoleum of a place Perth station is now compared to what it was. A decent sized bus shelter could cater for most of the traffic now! Given than somewhere in the main buildings was the room used as Queen Victoria's Waiting Room, it seems a pity that there is no sort of preservation order on it (at least so far as I am aware).

Ian

The area at the back of the wall was indeed the storage area for diesels. It wasn't part of a shed, but during the time when we had engines - this was where they were stabled. The original engine sheds were;

North British - other side of St Leonards Bridge - where the Signal centre is now.

Highland - to the north of the station where Lidl (or Aldi) is now

Caledonian - the largest shed was to the south where Tesco is now located

26038_01.jpg

27211_01.jpg

As there was no public access, the area had to be accessed by invading some back gardens in a nearby street!

The original entrance to the station was indeed to the side of the current entrance. There was a proposal to restore the original and remove the 1960's addition. Like much of the architecture from the 60's it could be improved by the addition of a bulldozer.

Old maps of Perth are facinating as it was a very significant railway town, with large yards. It must really have been something in steam days.

J

some nice photos of Perth herehttp://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-188-070-C&scache=3eg5w8dfih&searchdb=scran&&http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-188-069-C&scache=3eg5w8dfih&searchdb=scranwhile you are in there do a search for Perth Station if you have the time!!

Unfortunately the SCRAN site is a subscription site and you do not get full access to the photographs without paying. The same photographs (any many others) are free on the RCAHMS site http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/, you used to have to register but now you just type the subject in the the "search Canmore Database" box, select digital images and there are a huge collection of railway and building photographs on here, I have spent hours leafing through the photographs, the Perth photos include a cracker of the Mk1 Griddle Car in Blue Grey Livery.

Jim

Archived