Question re: BR station staff uniform colors in the 1950s

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the long rubber macs Ian, you didn'half get a belt off them when the rain ran off the back straight onto the juice rail!

I heard of this Pete - but managed to avoid, it, more by luck than any sort of judgement, I'm sure! I think much of your experience includes a fourth rail, too. Kicked the juice rail on more than one occasion without result, too.

The juice rail tends to be a source of concern to people who've never worked near it, and a source of sensible awareness to those who have. PW staff on the track relatively rarely had any serious events with the current - much more common for people on the track was being "flash blinded" when a shoe on a passing train under power left the juice rail and drew an arc. A&E would provide some ointment, I think. Those who worked daily near it also knew what they could do - a ganger writing on it with a pencil would intrigue onlookers. At the other end of the scale are members of the public who believe it is only live when a train is approaching, which is a very dangerous misapprehension!

Archived