Traffic from Liskeard goods yard in hoppers- late 1960s/early 1970s

Fat Controller

There is a picture in 'Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country' (Huntriss & Gray)

On page 21, dated 3/8/74, there are 5 empty hoppers in the dock siding, but no obvious evidence of the traffic.

Also in 'Hydraulics in the West' (Cable)

On page 36 dated November 1970, the goods shed is still there,

there are 5 hoppers by the loading bank, 2 appear loaded with something light coloured,

another 2 empty hoppers are in the short road.

cheers

Can't help, but similarly intrigued by odd vestigial quarry flows at this sort of period - as well as the shot in one of David Larkin's old Bradford Bartons, I think I've seen one or two pics elsewhere.

Was that Larkins 1979 'BR Standard Freight Wagons' ?

B400914 from Lot 2129 is pictured at Liskeard stencilled 'Iron Ore' (which it presumably is not),

although elsewhere Larkin says that these wagons were also used for aggregate and limestone.

In a blog from September 2011 asking about traffic in Plymouth in the 1960s

there was a suggestion of 'rock' from Liskeard to Plymouth.

The Liskeard and Caradon Railway was partly built to bring granite from Cheesewring Quarry,

after it was closed by the GWR could some traffic have still come by road to Liskeard?

I don't remember seeing pictures of that wagon type elsewhere in the west.

cheers

Was that Larkins 1979 'BR Standard Freight Wagons' ?

B400914 from Lot 2129 is pictured at Liskeard stencilled 'Iron Ore' (which it presumably is not),

although elsewhere Larkin says that these wagons were also used for aggregate and limestone.

It was indeed Kenny, and I've probably seen the other shots you mention whilst browsing books at shows. They were certainly used for ironstone in the '50s/60s and I've a feeling some of them were amongst the ragbag used in the early years of the Foster Yeoman traffics, so they could have moved on to the Liskead mystery trafic after that.

• 3 years later...

Another resurrection of an ancient thread.

While searching for something else (yet again), I found another shot with a hopper in it I believe, this time at Plymouth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9709828157/

Does that look like an ironstone hopper at the rear of the train?,

cheers

Hi Rivercider,  

I would say yes (and also what a great photo...).    And just about on topic: a recent mystery photo on the RCTS website taken possibly at Hapsford (Somerset) or Whatley Quarry shows several of these 13-ton hoppers along with what looks like a merry-go-round hopper.    http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?page=5&serial=85&img=WRD00258   

Bill

Hi Rivercider,  

I would say yes (and also what a great photo...).    And just about on topic: a recent mystery photo on the RCTS website taken possibly at Hapsford (Somerset) or Whatley Quarry shows several of these 13-ton hoppers along with what looks like a merry-go-round hopper.    http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?page=5&serial=85&img=WRD00258   

Bill

I'd go for the BR 13t hopper, not an iron-ore one. They worked out of Mells Road/ Whatley in pre-air-braked days; such stone traffic that was sent from there travelled in a motley set of stock. The air-braked hoppers, apparently in internal use, have appeared in another set of photos from there; I've no idea why they ended up, seemingly abandoned, so early in their life.

Another resurrection of an ancient thread.

While searching for something else (yet again), I found another shot with a hopper in it I believe, this time at Plymouth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9709828157/

Does that look like an ironstone hopper at the rear of the train?,

cheers

Brilliant old pictures of North Road station!.

Brian.

Archived