Farish Class 43 HST

Vonzack

Hi,

I'm looking to convert a Farish Class 43 HST to DCC, it's a split frame version with a PCB see pic.

post-11575-0-30889500-1323696367_thumb.jpg

I have two questions;

1) Components C1 / C2, these are fed from the Motor + / -, but are linked, I take it these are acting like the old Poole chasis supressor and should be removed for DCC?

2) Components L1 / L2, what are these coils doing, they must lower / limit the voltage going to the motor, my feeling is to remove them will that be OK?

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Premium

C1 and C2 are motor supression capacitors and can be removed or left depending on your mood. Some decoders don't care about them, others are a bit more fussy. I've not noticed a difference either way.

If you remove the inductors (coils), L1 and L2 then you've got a very easy way of fitting the decoder. Solder the red and black wires in the left hand holes vacated by the inductor (i.e. track left and right), and then solder the motor orange and grey wires to the right hand holes of the inductors.

Alternatively, remove the inductors (could even snip them off) and solder red and black to the pads marked R+ and L- (using R for red, L for black), and then solder the grey and orange wires to the pads marked MO+ and MO-. Simples as the meercat would say.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived