Buxton Sidings Re-laying

halfwit

The overgown sidings next to the run-round loop (used by the stone trains) in Buxton have been cleared and are being re-laid;

post-6749-0-11464500-1323702734_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-78949200-1323702750_thumb.jpg

Note the new points. Taken from the bridge leading to Brown Edge Road. Run round loop on the left, main Buxton to Manchester line on the right.

Anyone know why this is being done?

Thanks.

One possibility is the mismatch between current needs and the geometry of the track and its connections.

Another possibility is the mismatch between current needs and the condition of the track.

Another possibility is some combination of the two.

Afternoon Gents

I have a couple of questions....

Does this mean that the passenger services will be diverted via Peak Forest or will they be suspended for the duration of the works?

Also, anyone got any idea when this work is being undertaken?

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Gents

I have a couple of questions....

Does this mean that the passenger services will be diverted via Peak Forest or will they be suspended for the duration of the works?

Also, anyone got any idea when this work is being undertaken?

Regards

Mike

I think PWSlack needs a bit more of a clue, he thinks you refer to the current works rather than the works I mentioned :senile:

Sorry I don't know off hand when the work will be taking place and no passenger diversions, only freight.

hth

As I understand it, there is a new crossover and access point being installed at Buxton soon to facilitate direct access to/from the Great Rocks line from the passenger line. The points in the photo will I imagine be moved up onto the passenger line and installed soon and the work is due to start soon but no date but I can ask someone who might know. The diversion will potentially lead to more trains as the steep gradients on the passenger line will limit most trailing loads to around 15 bogie hoppers and some may require top 'n tailing.

Cheers Paul

I’ve found some info on the Network Rail rules of the route PDF document via a google search

Sat 24/12/11 0600 – Mon 02/01/12 0600 All lines Chinley Junctions - Buxton

Trains to be diverted via Buxton and Stockport. Maximum trailing length 13 Vehicles. Possession to be shortened between 0920 sun and 1040 sun for the passage of 6h27 0920 sun Tunstead to Brigg’s sidings.

Sat 07/01/12 0600 – Sun 08/01/12 2359 – ditto

Sat 14/01/12 0600 – Sun 15/01/12 2359 – contingency possession if works not completed in Christmas and New Year schedule

Sat 21/01/12 0600 – Sun 22/01/12 2359 – ditto contingency

Later in 2012 there are bridge replacement works at Whaley Bridge – this is to replace Bridge 42 that spans the former A6 road out of Whaley towards Buxton –

Sun 03/06 – Wed 06/06/12 passenger trains to start/terminate at Furness Vale

Bridge 42 and also Disley LNW tunnel track work

Sun 10/06 – Sun 11/06/12 passenger trains to start/terminate at Hazel Grove

Sun 17/06 – Sun 18/06/12 passenger trains to start/terminate at Hazel Grove

Also s+c works at Great Rocks Jnc on 30/06 – 01/07/12 1145

Cheers Paul

Archived