Coal Trains over the S&D

• RMweb Gold

Hi again coal train workings over the S&D, at the moment I don’t have WTT so I am gathering what info I can from photographs. I have gone through various books and can’t seem to find any coal trains over the S&D that were set to a specific time except the 10:45 Midsomer Norton to Evercreech Jct working. Were coal trains timetables or were they fitted in ad-hoc as and when they were needed. Also the 10:45 Midsomer Norton to Evercreech Jct train I assume would have worked empty from Bath at some point earlier that morning?

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

By the 1960s Most coal trains only ran as far as Midsomer Norton with frieghts south of their being more mixed. In 1961 these were mainly in the hands of the 7fs, although the 8fs were starting to make their presence felt.

There were departures from Bath of empty coal trains for Midsomer at 8.55 and12.35, with arrivals of full coal trains at 11.21 and 1.50pm.

Looking at photos coal produce going south down the line appear to be fitted into other goods trains going south,most of which ran to Everchreech.

• 2 months later...

Archived