U57.001 Czech Narrow Gauge Superpower

Hobby

I thought I'd better do a short thread on here about my latest build...

stokr1.jpg

The loco itself was built by Skoda in the late '40s and sold to the Yugoslav Railways (JZ) for the Steinbeisbahn. Skoda No. 19-32 was purchased by Club 760 after end of operations by the JZ and overhauled in Austria in 2002, in 2008 it was sent back to its homeland and a further overhaul carried out. It is now leased to the Narrow Gauge Railway "Tremsna - Osoblaha" in the north of the Czech republic, a line still operated by the state railways but with privately run specials in the summer and at Christmas.

I had seen some photos of the loco a while ago and had assumed that it was an 0-8-2 like the class 83s, but upon closer inspection it turned out it was an 0-10-0! I knew Brian had a Minitrix 9f on the secondhand stall which had been there for a while and next time I saw him I bought it, hoping that it would be close enough to make the model...

After getting the loco back home and then obtaining the drawings i was pleased to see that it was pretty close... The tender wheelbase was pretty much spot on and whilst the driving wheels were 0.5mm too small (the real ones were 800mm diameter) the large flanges made up for it. It isn't an exact scale model, but a (hopefully) good approximation...

I started with the tender...

254_lokomotivau57_001.jpg

It was very lucky that the tender chassis is such a good match as it also includes pickups on the outer wheels as the loco chassis has traction tyres on the rear two axles. A fair bit of cutting of plasticard later and here's the original and photos of first part of the loco to be completed:

6432233415_a1f9e0b532.jpg

6432231633_3205343a4b.jpg

The engine...

6482945503_e1cb0db90b.jpg

6482947559_6336892bd5.jpg

As expected the securing of the chassis to the body was a bit of a nightmare due to the lack of places to put a screw at the back. As you can see the rear of the 9f's cab fits into a hole of the right size in the back of U57's cab. I'll cut back those strengthening pieces in due course. The chassis slots into the hole and the screw which holds the front of the chassis plate has been lengthened and now screws into the bottom of the smokebox at the front. Despite the rather crude way of doing it it does hold it quite well...

Engine and tender:

6482949641_5fb5d21c0e.jpg

Temporary chimney, no cab roof and the dome needed "bedding in"... I love painting in grey primer to see all those defects you can't see properly otherwise... Like those cab windows in the second photo...

6504746399_b9676d96aa.jpg

6504747595_2b1dcf5641.jpg

I think the blue might be a shade too dark, but we'll see when i have time to think about it... How I dislike close-ups!

6530545821_93b8d674b9.jpg

6530546649_6529fda7ab.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thats a great model you have done.

Having a strong interest in Czech Railways and having travelled on this narrow gauge line its interesting to see how you built this loco. A friend has done one of the diesels that run on this route. I will have to find some photos of his model.

Ian

There are a couple of HO kits of the Tu47 diesels, a resin one and a brass one. I have 4 of the latter, I did have a resin one as well but the finish is better on the brass models...

5734288614_9f3d4839a9.jpg

Re the gap under the boiler, I felt it was important that it was there, the motor and gears do go a bit further forward than the real thing, but it looks the part I feel...

• RMweb Gold

Its the resin one that this friend has built. It did take him a while to clean it all up and flush glaze it but it has come out well. I have seen the brass kits on a Czech website but didnt' get round to buying any. as main interest is in Czech TT. We do have a British 009 layout and the diesel does have a few outings on that.

Ian

From the front - the lamp is from my bits box, the chimney is scratchbuilt but I'm getting one turned, the dome and sandbox are cut down and filed from a Chivers Engarth (top half of them cut off!), the air compressor and bell are from the bits box, the safety valves are bits of sprue and the whistle is again from the bits box!

Roundhouse, the manufacturer who does the HOe diesels also does an even larger range of TTe brass kits... Annoyingly he does all the 4 wheel coaches in TTe but not in HOe ("there's no demand for them in HO" He tells me! :no2: ). I have all six of his kits in TTe which I got so i could try to scale them up to HO... I've finished with them now so am looking to sell them on if anyone is interested? They are unmade, btw!

TT was and is very big in the old Eastern Europe... All the shops in the Czech Republic stock loads and Tillig seem to produce more and more... As its proper TT and not the bastard British scale it suits the flats over there very well... I suspect that if Triang had done 1:120 rather than 1:100 it may just have taken off over here... Personally I think its a great scale, big enough to do your own detailing but small enough to fit in small homes... If I ever went into standard gauge I'd definitely give it a long look!

Re the production of HOe stock, I can't figure his logic, his market has opened right up since the internet and many of the coaches are similar to the Austrian ones... All he has to do is look at the extortionate prices Lilliput are able to charge for their CD liveried stock and still sell them!

• RMweb Gold

Thats why we decided to do Czech TT as there was so much available either ready to run , resin kit form or cottage industry ready built. Some of the Ready built TT is a bit hit and miss whilst some is absolutely superb and runs extremely well. As you say 1:120 is a nice scale to work in and we have enjoyed doing so. More recently Czech HO has become more readily available but at present we are sticking with TT especially as Roco have now produced the 'Goggles' loco in both HO and TT.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived