Scale Wagon Plans

NRM has many of the RCH metal cutting drawings for the welded bodied mineral wagons in the Derby C&W list. There are also chassis drawings in that list. The ones I looked at so far though would mainly represent MoT/MoS builds however rather than being an official source for the 1/108 but for an accurate design you can't get much worse.

You may find something of interest in the following (ignore the numbers in brackets after diagram numbers, they are a private accession number) All drawings are 4mm

Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages.

Drawings -
slope-sided mineral ex WD 1/100 (122); Mineral weld ex WD 1/102 (123); ex SNCF Mineral 1/112 119); Weld Mineral 1/108 (116); Weld Mineral rebody 1/108 (117); Double door Mineral 1/110 (127); Double door VB Mineral 1/119 & 1/120 (130 & 131); Double door Mineral rebody (129); Double door Mineral 24.5t 1/115 (132); Ironstone tippler 1/181 (133).

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991a) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part one Prewar and wartime designs. Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 3) pp 124 - 133.

Drawings - official of the slope sided mineral, Hurst Nelson 14/16t private owner (435), ex MWT/SNCF diag. 1/112 (119).

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991b) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part two Later Pre-Nationalisation developments. Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 4) pp 148 - 156.

Drawings - LNER diag. 188/BR diag. 1/103 ex MOT rivet (439); BR diag. 1/105 ex MOT rivet (418); BR diag. 1/102 ex WD welded (123).

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991c) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part 3: Developments under British Railways. Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 5) pp 220 - 230.

Drawings - BR diag. 1/108 welded (116); BR diag. 1/109 riveted (117); BR diag. 1/108 rebody welded.
Also may be of interest

Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983b) British Railways 21 ton Mineral Wagons. Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 595) pp 637 - 641.

Drawings - Welded double door diag. 1/107 (126); Riveted double door diag. 1/110 (127); VB double door with SAB diag. 1/120 (131) and manual load diag. 1/119 (130)

Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983c) British Railways 21 ton Mineral Wagons - the rebuilding programme. Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 596) pp 708 - 711 & 697.

Drawings - Double door welded rebody; single door welded rebody.
Paul Bartlett

Hello.

I hope this doesnt hijack this thread but I am also looking for a scale wagon drawing of this wagon...

post-2065-0-22187800-1324501227.jpg

I have checked in a couple of tank wagon books and also with that drawing supplier but alas, so far I havent found one.

Is there anyone who can help?

Thank you.

Missy :)

Geoff Kent builds one in 4mm Wagon part 2 Missy. In fact there is a picture of the one you've shown if its preserved at the seven valley.

Tanks can be all over the shop anyway tbh. The barrel is generally quoted on drawings in terms of the gallons it can hold too rather than dimensions. Some of the earlier RCH 'standards' suggested 10'6'' WB too whereas this later anchor design seems to have a 10ft WB according to the solebar at least.

Mind i've seen P22 hoppers with 9ft WB on the solebar and I know they were 9ft6...

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

Re. tank wagon photo of no. ESSO 2606?

May I suggest you try to find a copy of Model Railways from October 1990, pp 533, where there is a scale drawing and text on this wagon type by Mr. Peter Fidczuk and some photographs by Mr. Paul Bartlett.

If my identification is correct then it is a former 20T tar tank with steam heating coils. TOPS diagram TS040A and built by Cambrian Wagon in 1953. Key dimensions are:

Barrel length: 22ft 2.5

Barrel diameter: 7ft 1

Over headstocks: 21ft 6

Wheelbase: 12ft

Kind regards,

GBMRG

Hello GBMRG.

Thank you for the reply, that sounds VERY useful.

I do need to ask what is the Model Railways magazine you mention? I am not familiar with that one.

Thanks in advance.

Missy....My memory says that the "Model Railways" magazine was previously "Model Railway News" the name change occurred late70's, possibly due to ownership and/or editor changing.

I was out of touch for a some years after the early 80's, and don't know if it survives under yet another name.

• RMweb Premium

Hello GBMRG.

Thank you for the reply, that sounds VERY useful.

I do need to ask what is the Model Railways magazine you mention? I am not familiar with that one.

Thanks in advance.

Here are most of the British modelling titles.

http://www.payhost.net/modelling/acatalog/Model_Railway.html

Many of the contents are listed. They appear to be scanned from the contents page.

As has been previously suggested, this magazine went through a series of name changes. Originally entitled Model Railway News, then Model Railways, then Model Railway & back to Model Railways. Then it folded. Later a new magazine started, with much the same format & editorial staff called Model Rail, that is an ongoing publication.

I hope that helps.

Kevin Martin

Here are most of the British modelling titles.

http://www.payhost.n...el_Railway.html

Many of the contents are listed. They appear to be scanned from the contents page.

As has been previously suggested, this magazine went through a series of name changes. Originally entitled Model Railway News, then Model Railways, then Model Railway & back to Model Railways. Then it folded. Later a new magazine started, with much the same format & editorial staff called Model Rail, that is an ongoing publication.

I hope that helps.

Kevin Martin

Kevin

That is a very interesting link, I've never seen it before but helps with history.

You are correct that MRN morphed to to MR. Cyril Freezer moved from Railway Modeller to be the editor, didn't do so well, so Dave Lowery who had (IIRC) was managing a car tyre workshop but was famed for "Beverleys" took over, It was published from Hemel Hempstead. It folded. In the meantime Model Rail was an insert in Rail. Model Railway Constructor having already folded Chris Leigh the last editor had moved to Steam Days, but was head hunted and moved from Ian Allan to Emap Peterborough to edit Steam World. When Model Rail was launched as a mag Chris became editor. Dave Lowery was taken on as one of the irregular regular contributors, having set up his own company building 7mm models. Ben replaced Chris at Model Rail, who for a short period was doing a number of different projects for Rail, MR etc. Now he is back as editor of Steam World.

Hoping Chris doesn't mind me reminding him of part of his career!!

Paul Bartlett

Archived