Speakers for a Zimo MX 695

Dmudriver

Hi

I've got a Heljan Class 37 with Digitrains/pauliebangers sound file in it and I'm wondering which speakers will give the best sound output.

I put in 2 x Loksound 32 ohm speakers, in parallel at first and didn't get good sound from that - too quiet. But then I realised I needed 4 or 8 ohm speakers with this decoder- oops!! I bought 2 x Digitrains DSS229 8 ohm bass reflex speakers and fitted the 2 (in parallel). Nice and loud but the sound was very muffled. I've now got one on its own, which is better but I also tried it with a Loksound 4 ohm 23mm speaker (again in parallel): I think it was a bit better but I'm not sure whether 1) it's wise to mix speakers from different manufacturers and 2) whether it's wise to use 4 and 8 ohm speakers together. I didn't check the polarity, but I have now, with advice from another thread and now know how to do that!!

I did see a comment in another thread about using a bass reflex speaker and a smaller one to bring out the treble sounds. Would I need an 8 ohm one, of the same make, to bring out the trebles better?

Hopw important is the wattage in choosing speakers? As you can see, I am still learning!!

Rod

Hi Rod,

These are 7mm models?

I have used a 40mm HB speaker from Digitrains (Soundtraxx or QSI, can't recall). 8 Ohms, 2-4 Watts. I made a custom sealed enclosure as the Heljan standard mounting is just not up to the job.

I used two such speakers in one large enclosure in the Class 55.

My Hornby Magazine Class 26 sound installation article (issue 54) has a similar set-up to the Class 37.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. Have just been looking to see if I can find the article and saw this on the Hornby website: "Paul Chetter moves up a scale to fit digital sound to an ‘O’ gauge Class 26 diesel, and discovers that it’s far more challenging than he initially expected." Sounds interesting!! I'll have a go though!!

You don't have a link to the article, by any chance, do you?

Rod

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. Have just been looking to see if I can find the article and saw this on the Hornby website: "Paul Chetter moves up a scale to fit digital sound to an ‘O’ gauge Class 26 diesel, and discovers that it’s far more challenging than he initially expected." Sounds interesting!! I'll have a go though!!

You don't have a link to the article, by any chance, do you?

Rod

Rod,

No link exists, I'm sorry. You have to buy/borrow the mag.

The challenges were the almost complete use of red and black wires (no DCC colour coding) and the less than ideal Heljan idea for locating the speaker. I am not claiming my version is perfect, but it is an improvement and sounds good to me.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

As Paul fitted my 37 and 55 with speakers for the MX695 I thought I ought to just pop in and say that they are VERY LOUD!

As my layout, such as it is has to share the office which is a small bedroom any sound is quite loud and I have had to turn both of their volumes down. With the 55 especially I have had to turn it down from whatever it was set at (well over 100 or even 200 IIRC) to 25 and even then it is plenty loud enough. So I suppose my only advice is what Paul told me and has said above in that it is mainly in the speaker enclosure otherwise the sound just dissipates within the loco and sounds weak.

Rehards Chris

Hi Paul and Chris. Thanks for the comments. I've got hold of a copy of the magazine and will follow Paul's article. Although there's provision for 2 speakers in the 37 tanks, I'll just fit one for now, bearing in mind Chris's comments.

Can't do much (on this project, anyway) until Digitrains open again on Wednesday. Will let you know how I get on.

Rod

Hi. Further to last night's comment, I've found a couple of older 8 ohm bass reflex speakers that I bought from SWD some time ago. Have fitted those, in parallel, in the fuel tanks of the 37 and they give, to my ear anyway, a much better sound. I did try one of the Digitrains ones in the fuel tank, which was an improvement, but still rather muffled. For the moment, I'll stick with these two.

Sound, like beauty, is in the ear of the listener (obviously, rather than in the eye of ....... OK you follow me!!)

Rod

Archived