Damn you eBay!

highpeak

I went in for a spot of retail therapy on eBay and while it might not have exactly been life-altering it has given me food for thought.

I was quite happy with the idea of modelling Maine Central in the late 70s since that's when I first came into contact with US railroads. But then I read the three volumes on MEC published by Morning Sun, started getting interested in passenger cars and so on. Bye bye 70s, hello early 50s.

Then I saw a web site (http://www.blessedbe...mes/default.htm) with a picture of a MEC tenwheeler that used as its basis an old Roundhouse kit. I don't think the author of the website would take umbrage at the idea that you can't make an exact replica of any of the class O ten wheelers from that kit, but it looks close enough to pass muster, given the paucity of MEC steam locomotive models.

But the grubbing through eBay to find one of those Roundhouse kits threw up all sorts of other stuff. (I used my girlfriend's eBay account to bid on the kit, and was mildly disappointed to find I'd been outbid at the last minute. Little did I know, she'd been watching the auction and bid an extra dollar to get me a surprise Christmas present!) But I found an old Kemtron casting for a trailing truck that is very close to the ones under the last batch of MEC Pacifics. I bought Locomotive Quarterly for Spring 1986 that had a lot of MEC steam pictures including the two Hudsons. H'mmm, the old Athearn B&M Pacific would make a decent starting point for that, maybe Brunswick would be the place to model after all since the Hudsons were banned off everywhere other than Portland to Bangor. Now how do I get hold of one of those old Athearn relics? And if I shift my interest to the mainline, then I could justify one of those lumbering ex B&M Santa Fes if I could get hold of one. Er, how do I deal with great long trains of BAR reefers in the spud season? And I'd stayed away from wishlists for so long...

Damn you eBay!

eBay is evil. It just is. Otherwise why would I now have a NYO&W camelback 4-6-0 in my possession? One that needs the bogus 'Reading' lettering removed and replaced with NYO&W lettering...which is harder to find than a Moslem in the Vatican? Yet I did managed to find two set of the old Champ decals for it.

It's all eBay's fault. It is.

Archived