LMR UQ Signal Dimensions

clecklewyke

I am building some upper quadrant signals for my BR LMR (ex-LNWR) layout from Gibson's kits.

I am following Mick Nicholson's (a.k.a. micknich2003) bible on model signals "Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals"published by Booklaw. In chapter five he describes the building of a North Eastern Region tubular post signal and says that these were similar to LMR UQ signals. This chapter includes some dimensions of posts and the placing of the various pivots etc. on them. What I am wondering is whether these dimensions pertain to LMR signals as well as NER signals?

I would be grateful for an authoritative answer.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

One thing you might find different between NE Region and LMRegion is the distance between the stop and distant arms on lower arm distants as the NE used a wider separation at one time. However, as Beast has already said, you shouldn't have any problems getting hold of a copy of the reprint of Graham Warburton's excellent book on LMS signals which will give you all the data you need.

Thank you for your help. I'll look out the Warburton book but in the mean time Mick Nicholson has contacted me directly to confirm that the dimensions in the table in his book would be o.k. for an LMR signal.

Ian

The LMS Signals book has been extended quite substantially in a long running series of articles in LMS Journal (its still running and there must be 20 or so episodes). The first couple of episodes dealt with single post signals, the next couple then dealt with bracketed signals and then it went into a whole load of other topics. Worth having if you wish to model this field.

Thank you Portcullin Tatty. (Wonder how that name came about?)

Most of my signals will be LNWR - just a couple of LMS ones, so I cannot allow my budget to extend to the LMS journal. It's difficult to draw a line but SWMBO insists i do! And quite right too.

I'm getting on quite well with the signals, except yesterday. Having almost completed them an errant soldering iron caused one of them to come apart and seize up joints. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back - par for my modelling course!

I'll try and get the camera out and post some photos soon.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Most of my signals will be LNWR - just a couple of LMS ones

LNWR signals by R.D.Foster needed then !

(I've also put a photo of an LNWR signal in the forum).

Best bet is to model a "couple" of LMS prototypes then, not worry about company standards, just choose appropriate signals and copy them.

Archived